IP address compromised

chocolate cake 09:29 AM 08 Sep 13
Answered

y mother in law has I fear fallen victim to a scam on Thursday during which she allowed someone she thought was her provider to remote onto her desktop by giving them her IP address. They then proceeded to spend several hours rummaging in her computer uninstalling AVG and installing Microsoft security essentials as an alernative and also a free 14 day trial of Malwarebytes. I've now uninstalled these two programmes and instaled Bitdefender Total Protection and set all parameters to aggressive and/or paranoia, I have also 'stealthed' the computer via the firewall. I've run all available scans which have come back negative.

My question is should I be concerned that the IP address was given out and what further measures can I take to protect her and the PC? Is there any pressing need to change the IP address and how do I go about doing this?

Forum Editor 09:41 AM 08 Sep 13

"Is there any pressing need to change the IP address and how do I go about doing this?"

I wouldn't have thought there was a pressing need, but it might be a prudent move, given the circumstances.

Tell your mother-in-law to pull her router's telephone line plug out of the BT wall socket before she goes to bed, and then plug it in when she gets up next morning. Her router will be assigned a new IP address, and all will be well.

As I'm sure you know, the router's IP number is not the same one that her computer has. The computer is assigned an IP number by the router itself, not by the ISP.

chub_tor 09:49 AM 08 Sep 13

Having done a bit of "Googling" I think that your ma-in-law is pretty safe, most IP addresses are dynamic and change regularly anyway but this is a really useful page for understanding IP addresses

chocolate cake 12:02 PM 08 Sep 13

THanks everyone, I think we're a little re-assured now. For information how do I disable "Remote desktop Connection"

Jollyjohn 12:49 PM 08 Sep 13

Have a look for LogMeIn or Teamviewer or GoToAssit programs. These are genuine remote software programs for use by IT support providers. Scams usually involve one of these type programs being installed so the scammer can log in remotely without users knowledge. It does not seem likely in this instance, but worth a double check.

chocolate cake 14:42 PM 08 Sep 13

Thanks all, I've disabled Remote access and I think for now this is about all I can do.

Been an infrequent visitor over the last 8 years but have never failed to get helpful people responding. Thanks to all who contribute.

lotvic 14:55 PM 08 Sep 13

I should check that she hasn't given them her bank/credit card details, these scams usually sign you up a 'service agreeement' or take a one off payment to rip you off.

chocolate cake 15:18 PM 08 Sep 13

Unfortunately they took a £150 hit on this.

On my advice she's now contacted all her cards of the possibility of being cloned and also has reduced the credit limit on one of them to £500 which I have advised her to use for all internet purchases after a brief period whilst I establish that all potential avenues for risk have been closed.

lotvic 15:25 PM 08 Sep 13

ouch

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED