IP address to access my local PC's FTP server

Ben Avery 16:32 28 Jul 03

G'day

I am on a networked PC at work with a network IP address (the final number is different on each PC only). I have set up an ftp server on the PC to share files with colleagues other than those on the network - on the network is fine, as I just type click here into internet explorer and at the prompt input the user name and password.

How do I set this up so that external PC's can access the files using a guest login account I have set up? I'm pretty sure it won't work in the same way as this as I think the IP address is purely a network IP address (beings 192.168.x.xx).

The computers on the network are connected to the server in my office and this in turn is also connected to a Broadband Router which we can all use to connect to the internet.

What do I do next?

BA

fitshase 17:13 28 Jul 03

What you would probably need to do is to configure the server in your office to divert any FTP access to a specific machine.

e.g., say your FTP files are on machine 192.168.0.5 then you would need to tell the server to allow FTP access and for the server to direct any access requests to machine 192.168.0.5.

You would then have to find out the IP address of the broadband (try click here) and then pass that information onto your colleagues.

One last thing. If the router has a built in firewall, you will need to allow the FTP requests to get through the firewall, i.e., you will have to configure the firewall to open the FTP port number and direct access to machine 192.168.0.5 only.

I am not an expert on these matters and I am sure there is someone else on the forum who will be able to give you a detailed step-by-step guide.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…