Ip Address

dan12 17:27 23 Jan 06

Hi,
I find as a beginner i have that many questions to ask, and the short time i have been on the forum, have found that many helpfull people, vog, skills, fruitbat, to name only a few who have made me feel welcome as a begginer so thankyou.

ok, question ref.. ip address, i found my ip address the other day by google (what is my ip address.com), am i right in thinking that this changes ie ip address, each time i logg on? I read that it depends if its static or dynamic? do we have a choice or is it how your system is set up.
Is there advantages of one over the other or maybe i have the wrong end of the stick!!
Thanks

rômanab 17:58 23 Jan 06
  JayDay 18:10 23 Jan 06

Static IP address is one that same each time you log on.

Dynamic means it will be different each time you connect to the internet.

The type you have is dependant on your ISP.

Not sure of the benefits of having a static IP address but one would be if you needed to access your PC remotely. I think for basic home users there isn't much difference.

Chegs ®™ 18:30 23 Jan 06

I have a supposedly dynamic IP addy,but just when its gonna change has not become obvious due to my having had the same IP address for at least the last 8mths that I know of. ;-))

cymbo 18:32 23 Jan 06

Not so long ago, I asked what where the benefits of a static IP address, as some ISP's charge extra for one. This is the answer I was given by Vog, one of the forums acknowledged experts.

"Some web-based services recognize you as an authorized user by checking your IP address".

Cheers

cymbo.

dan12 19:26 23 Jan 06

Many thanks
again to all above for advise.
cheers.

dan12 20:36 23 Jan 06

Thanks to romanab's link,
thought this would be helpfull to anyone else following the thread who was unsure like myself.

Every computer connected to the Internet is assigned a unique number known as an Internet Protocol (IP) address.
IP addresses consist of four numbers separated by periods (also called a "dotted-quad") and look something like 127.0.0.1.

Since these numbers are usually assigned to internet service providers within country-based blocks, an IP address can often be used to identify the country from which a computer is connecting to the Internet.

Because the numbers may be tedious to deal with, an IP address may also be assigned to a Host name, which is sometimes easier to remember. Hostnames may be looked up to find IP addresses, and visa-versa.

At one time ISPs issued one IP address to each user. These are called static IP addresses. Because there is a limited number of IP addresses and with increased usage of the internet ISPs now issue IP addresses in a dynamic fashion out of a pool of IP addresses (Using DHCP). These are referred to as dynamic IP addresses. This also limits the ability of the user to host websites, mail servers, ftp servers, and DNS servers. Dynamic DNS services can be used to provide DNS records for servers running on dynamic assigned IP addresses.

In addition to users connecting to the internet, with virtual hosting, a single machine can act like multiple machines (with multiple domain names and IP addresses).

An IP address can sometimes be used to determine the user's general location

thanks

Stuartli 20:20 31 Jan 06

IP Address freeware at:

click here

The same author provides the excellent PIXResizer utility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…