Iomega Home media server acting very strange

lonemascot 13:31 PM 12 Mar 12

i have the NAS connected to an ethernet switch which is then connected to router, PS3, desktop, printer etc. My laptop connects wirelessly to the router and then the NAS but today it has decided that it will not work correctly.

the NAS is detected in the network but when i open it to explore the folders they are taking forever to open and increasingly im getting an error message saying that i dont have the correct permission or access is denied or that the device is not found.

any ideas of a fix or diagnosis. is it busted?

lonemascot 15:10 PM 12 Mar 12

i dont know if this is relevant. My PS3 can access the NAS and play movies and audio without a problem. The glitch seems to be with Windows Explorer crashing (not responding) when accessing the NAS from both my laptop and desktop.

lonemascot 15:26 PM 12 Mar 12

furthermore on the network page my NAS is listed in several areas: as a computer, as a media device and also as an 'other device'.

if i click on the media device icon i can access the media files etc but not my documents which is what im after.

when clicking on the icon in the computer section it says 'Windows cannot access HMNHD....check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with the network.' blah blah blah. diagnosis doesnt pick anything up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November