Iomega external hard drive no longer recognised

chesterfield 20:53 10 Jan 11

I've had a 1TB iomega external hard drive for about 6 months and all of a sudden my computer no longer recognises it when I switch it on. No window pops up as it used to when it was detected and its not present under the device manager. I've tried it on two different pc's and with 2 different usb cables and still no joy. The light on the side still comes on and its making the usual whirring noises.

Has it simply broken and that's it??

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

jamesd1981 21:13 10 Jan 11

do you have any really important files on it ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:16 10 Jan 11

click here down load and install USBdeview

You will find that you have lots of devices shown as not connected.

Uninstall ALL instances of your USB drives.

Reboot the machine reconnect the powered up drive to a USB port and windows should find and reinstall it.

chesterfield 08:16 11 Jan 11

Thanks for the advice Fruit Bat. Doesn't the fact that its not working on two different computers suggest that the error isn't with the USB connections of one of them though?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 11 Jan 11

Possible but using deview will not hurt anyway.

If not working could be the drive or the USB device, as the power light is on and you can hear the drive but the PCs do not recognise something is plugged in then looks most like the USB devie is faulty
the drive could be removed from the box and connected to an external caddy or cable click here

chesterfield 17:19 11 Jan 11

That sounds like a good idea. I'll uninstalling the usb drives and if that doesn't work its got to be worth spending £10 on the cables from Amazon.

Any idea what the likelihood and cost of getting the 'professionals' to try and retrieve the information on here?

Thanks again

john bunyan 18:56 11 Jan 11

I think Tech Guys charge an exhorbitant £99 for data recovery. My friendly local shop is less than £40. I would try Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's way first. Was it dropped at all? I had one go like that but fortunately I have more than one back up..

chesterfield 13:08 19 Jan 11

Good news...the hard drive is working again. The only thing I did was to plug it into one of the USB's on the front of my computer rather than the fast ones on the back where it was connected previously. Not sure if this is a coincidence rather than a solution but Im happy for the time being at least!

Can specific USB ports cease functioning in regards to specific bits of hardware??

Thanks for all suggestions guys

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:17 19 Jan 11

Can specific USB ports cease functioning in regards to specific bits of hardware??

Yes because they have device conflicts

That is why I suggested you use USBdeview to uninstall all non connected devices to clear the driver info from the registry, plugging the device back in causes windows to "find new hardware" and reinstall the driver.

If you use USBdeview then you will probably find it works again in the rear ports.

chesterfield 17:37 19 Jan 11

I've downloaded it and still plan on giving that a try.

Can you just clarify what you mean by "non connected devices"?

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017