Iomega Automatic Backup part 2

Southernboy 00:14 30 May 04

Mainly on the recommendation of the FE, I have installed the above software. Clearly, I must be quite thick, because I am finding it something of a nightmare!

1. According to Iomega, the AUTOMATIC facility can be switched off and the "backup now" button" used instead. However, all these buttons are greyed out and can only be used when AUTOMATIC is switched on. Clicking BACKUP NOW and selecting BACKUP ALL FILES only produces an error message.

2. Using AUTOMATIC is not only distracting, but it also backups up temporary files that are used by programs (such as Money) which are created as they open and close

3. On a number of occasions, it has been impossible to launch AUTOMATIC BACKUP and the only way I have been able to switch the program on is by going to Add/Remove Programs and clicking on the Repair option.

4. Trying to create another configuration for a different backup is refused because the files are already included in the first configuration. The target location is also refused because "it already exists", i.e. it is all drive F.

5. If I insert a new disc in the drive it keeps telling me there is no disc in drive F!!

I am quite sure there is a simple answer to all my problems, nut none of them are covered in the manual or the Help screens.

Has anyone mastered this complex program?

Southernboy 21:40 03 Jun 04

I have created an identical configuration with a different name, with a complementary backup disc, but the system refuses to recognise the the disc, and insists on putting both backups on the same disc. I followed the instrcutions to the letter but they don't work.

Frankly, this software appears to be an absolute disaster!!

Forum Editor 00:31 04 Jun 04

these problems Southernboy, I've used the software ever since it launched, and it's never given the slightest hint of a problem. Its use is widespread, and as far as I'm aware there aren't any general issues with it.

The software looks for changes in the location(s) you specify, and as it sees the temporary files being deleted on the hard drive it will remove them from the backup, so you shouldn't have a problem there - you'll get an exact mirror copy of what's in the directory or directories you specify.

Unless you have a specific reason for turning the auto backup off you should leave it in the 'On' mode - after all, that's why you got it in the first place.

You can edit the backup configuration any time you like - just highlight the backup and select 'Edit'.

As for being complex........I can't imagine how it could really be simpler. There are only a few options, and the program launches itself at startup - that's the whole idea, there's not much point in turning it on and off manually.......it wouldn't really be automatic then would it?

Southernboy 23:03 04 Jun 04

I never really wanted an "Automatic" backup system, but was forced to have one because that was all that there was on offer.

I tried leaving it on but it cannot co-exist with MS Money. When you close a Money file, it goes through some sort of metamorphis on shutdown, before the file reinstates itself in My Documents. If you leave My Documents open, for a brief instant a file .lrd with a size of 0Kb appears before the actual Money file reappears. Every time I have opened and closed a Money file with the program on, all that appears in the backup is s file *.lrd, with a size of 0Kb, and no actual backed up Money file. This happens every time, so I have no alternative but to switch the backup program off whilst using any Money files.

Further, I really do not like the backup continually appearing on the screen whilst I am wrking on a long and complicated WordPro document. Ergo, I have opted to only switch backup on when I have finished for the day.

The problem is that I am unable to operate two backup sets, alternately, as I have always done in the past with both Zip and floppy discs. I created on configuration (called Backup A) with a target location of F:\Backup A, which seemed to work OK when I switched the program on and clicked OK. However, when I created an identical configuration (called Backup B) with a target location of F:\Backup B, it wouldn't work. The program kept telling me I had the wrong disc in the drive. I tried all the offered alternatives but nothing worked. The manual gives absolutely no information how to deal with this situation and the program simply crashes every time I try to use a second backup set. If I try the BACKUP NOW button, I get an error message. Added to this, the program then becomes inaccessable and I have to keep going to ADD/REMOVE programs, and to use the Repair option to get the program back.

I am now in despair because I have paid over £100 for a backup drive which does not appear to do what it says it will do. I have Emailed Iomega who simply tell me to telephone a US number for detailed assistance which is out of the question for me. I now wish I had bought an external HD, but I had always been happy with my internal 100Mb internal Iomega drive and wanted discs I could store elsewhere.

If there is any advice availble, I would be grateful for it.

brambles 16:01 05 Jun 04

As it's causing you some irritation why not:

Delete the AutoSync programme.

Download the latest Iomega drivers from their web site. I use a 250 mb Zip drive & the programme I downloaded was:

Ioware - W32 -x86 - 402 but it may be a different one for the 100 mb Zip

Brambles

Forum Editor 16:20 05 Jun 04

will do exactly what it says it will do, so you haven't paid over £100 for nothing - it's the software you seem to be having a problem with.

The software I recommended is Iomega automatic backup 1.0.2 - is that the version you have?

1. I'm not sure why you need to have two separate backups - you can tell the software to watch as many files and/or folders as you like, and when the disk is nearly full you'll automatically be warned to have another one ready. I can't see the point of wanting to run two separate disks at the same time.

2. You can stop the software annoying you whilst you're working - just tell it to backup every few minutes, hours or days, or tell it to backup at a certain time on a specific day - the options are vitrually endless.

The whold point of this software is that it removes the need for you to remember to backup your files - it does it all for you, which in the event of a disaster can be a life-saver. If you want to work with two separate disks you may just as well do the copying manually - there's absolutely no point in having a backup system. The essence of a backup system is that it does just that - what would happen to the files in backup A location if your machine crashed with Backup B disk in the drive? You would lose your revisions.

Stick to one disk, and let the software do its job - you'll find it works very well indeed.

Southernboy 14:27 07 Jun 04

Thank you for helping me.

I have no problem with remembering to backup. My daily routine is to backup at the end of the session. I have had this routine for years now and my sets of backup discs are always in front of me on the desk. Because I am continually opening and closing files for reference purposes, having Automatic Backup on all the time is not practical, because it regards opening and closing a file as a change, even though it is not. Setting times is not practical because my use of the PC is irregular.

At the end of the day, I guess I am just not very bright, and have difficulty with technical things. With One-Step Backup, the program requires three backup sets which is fine and is simple and easy to follow. Automatic Backup is totally different and I find it difficult to use. I must say, however, that it does provide for multiple configurations, and I have been unable to get this facility to work. Also, I have been unable to get the Backup Now facility to work. Every time I attempt to use it I get an error message. As you say, the program must be OK, so it must be my lack of understanding.

When I bought my first PC it was drummed into me to have 2 or 3 sets of backup discs. This was because discs can fail, become corrupted or get damaged or lost. I certainly have experienced this with floppy discs and I understand that Zip discs are not immune to such problems. I was told that it is foolish to rely on just one set of backup discs.

I do not keep more than one revision of my files as I felt this would become complicated. However, two sets would give me two revisions without the complication of being all on one disc.

When the disc becomes full, does the new disc get a full backup, or is one's backup spread over multiple discs?

I am very sorry, but I do not understand your comment that I would lose my files in disc A if the PC crashed when disc B was in the drive? Surely, if I didn't have a disc A I would lose all my files?

I don't know which version of the software I have, it came with the Zip Drive about a month ago. Of course, I have no idea how long the drive was in stock. There is a date on the on-screen manual of 2002, but copyright dates don't indicate versions. How can I find the version, please?

Thank you, again.

Southernboy 14:32 07 Jun 04

Thanks for your reply.

However, I am using Automatic Backup not AutoSync which I understand is intended for transferring files between computers.

This PC is not connected to the internet.

Southernboy 15:50 21 Jun 04

all contributions from users of Automatic Backup are most welcome.

I realise many of you prefer other methods, but the request for help refers to Iomega software, so replies on this are what I am hoping for.

Forum Editor 12:38 24 Jun 04

is by looking at a location, be it a file or a folder, or a set of folders or files, or a mixture of both. Whenever it detects a change in the condition of any of the files, or if a new file is added, it will backup those changes. The software will do that discreetly, in the background, and will interfere with your work as little as possible. In fact I have become so used to the system working that I hardly notice it doing its job - I have mine set to backup any changes in the files as they happen.

Once a disk is full it means that the size of the combined files and folders in your saving location is equal to the capacity of the disk, and when you start a new disk you must start saving to a new location - otherwise the software will simply back up the whole lot as soon as you insert the new disk, and you'll have a second disk full of the same files as the first one. You can do this deliberately of course, if you want to create duplicates for extra security, although I don't. I write all my office data to CDs at the end of each working week, so I have ZIP disk and CD backups of everything, as well as a saved copy on the hard drive.

When you start a new backup disk you'll need to start a new saving location for new data files, and it's not difficult to set up a folder heirarchy to do this. Then the software will set about keeping a backup of the new location. If you want to work with old files you can just drag them into the new location on your hard drive and carry on - the software will copy them, so you'll have one version on the first disk, and another (later) version on the second disk. It all works well, and I don't personally have a problem. Over the past few years we have accumulated a lot of ZIP disks full of data, and from time to time we archive them off to CDs for permanent storage. No storage medium is truly permanent, and if you plan to keep CD archives for longer than say, five years it makes good sense to recopy them every few years.

Southernboy 15:13 29 Jun 04

Thank you for your reply. I should explain that my elderly PC only has a CD-ROM, so I have no means of backing up to CD. Apart from 3.5" Floppy Discs, my only backup option is 750mb Zip Discs. I did investigate the possibility of an external CD writer, but rejected it for two reasons. My PC has USB 1.1 which would be too slow and there is a possibility that, at some point, I might have to replace my PC, so there would hardly be any point. My prime reason is to have full backups should I need to transfer then to another PC at some point. Therefore, I really do need two backup sets as a very minimum.

My reason for not having Automatic Backup on all the time is, I think, valid. For example, I was writing a long article the other day, using a previous article as a template. I completely forgot to save it as a new file with the result that it overwrote the previous file. Fortunately, it was a simple matter the rename the file and restore the original file from the backup. Had the Automatic been on, it would have overwritten the backup copy and I would have lost it. Also, I find the drive noise and the screen display to be irritating whilst I am working. Finally, I prefer to confidence that I get from physically seeing the backup take place at the end of the session.

Please, can you tell me:

1.Do you have to hace a Zip Disc in the drive when creating a configuration?

2.Do you have to give the target disc a folder name? I have not and the target is shown as F:\.

3.I understand you to say that (when the disc is full) the next disc requires a different name. Should you them use a series, for example, A1, A2 etc?

3.I have never been able to make the BACKUP NOW button work. Every time I highlight the only configuration I have, and press it, and am offered the choice of "all files" or "changed files", I get an error message telling me that "there was an error starting this backup".

4. I have tried inserting a blank disc and choosing "make this my backup disc" in the hope of getting a full backup on a second disc, but it does not work.

Since you are so satisfied with the software, it must be something I am doing wrong, but I cannot discover what it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…