Iomega Automatic backup

Southernboy 12:53 25 Mar 04

Re: my thread "Staples Confusion", I thought it would be best to start a new thread for my query concerning the above.

I have bought (in error) a USB 250Mb Iomega Zip Drive, to use on both W98SE (USB1-current PC) and XP (USB2-proposed new PC). I discover the Zip Drive is only USB1.1 and will, therefore, be very slow on a USB2 computer. I also realise, belatedly, that the 250 disc is too small to hold the largest folder (Lotus Work Folder) that I backup daily. Unfortunately, I was unwell when it arrived, and have spent some time trying to find out if it will do the job, and Amazon now tell me it is too late to return it, even thought I have not broken the shrink wrapping.

So, I need to know something about the backup software that came with it. I have always used IomegaWare v6.0, which contains One-Step Backup. With this software, you click on "Customize" and select the folders you wish to backup. One selected, they remain until changed, which I have never needed to do. The backup is to 100Mb zip discs, and when one is full, the program ejects it and asks me to insert disc #2. Every time I conclude a session, I insert disc #2 and it carries out a a backup of any file in the selection that has changed. Every few days, it tells me it is time to use the next set of discs (there are three sets)so I always have two previous generations of backup at any time. Apparently, I cannot use this software with the external drive, nor with XP so, if I install this drive (and it seems I have little choice) I will also have to install the software that came with it.

Ergo, does this software work the same as One-Step? That is to say, does one programme the folder selection to be backed up? Does one carry out further backups over multiple discs, and does it tell me when to use the next backup set? All I know is that the software (apparently) backs up as you work but, as One-Step obviously compresses files to get them on smaller discs, does Automatic backup do the same? Some help with information on the actual way it works would be very welcome, because once I instal it, it will overwrite the existing program.

Thank you for your patience and in anticipation of your help. An idiot's guide would be helpful!

Southernboy 12:45 26 Mar 04

Please?

edstowe 13:03 26 Mar 04

1. USB 1 or 2 doesn't matter as far as a Zip drive is concerned. The system itself is so slow that you won't gain anything from USB 2.

2. Many years ago, I used Iomega backup on to Zip disks and placed much reliance on them. When the time came that I needed then, they failed me. Be warned!!!!

You would be far better off using either a separate hard drive or at least a partition of your current hard drive for your backups and recognised backup software like DriveImage, Acronis or similar.

Byte for byte, Zip systems are extremely expensive. You can buy a 60GB hard drive for £50 or so now. Think how many GB of Zip disks you can get for the same money - not many!!

€d

Southernboy 15:22 29 Mar 04

I need to back up all my work on my current PC to transfer to a new PC. Erbo, I need an external drive, preferably one I am used to, such as the Iomega Zip.

Southernboy 14:41 07 Apr 04

Have reconsidered my request, and agreed to accept the return of the 250 Zip Drive. I sent it back (by Special Delivery) on the 29th March, and the refund was made to my credit card on 2nd April. Given that the form states refunds take about three weeks, I thought this was excellent service.

I now have to decide whether to buy the 750 Zip Drive or a Maxtor ESB HD. Decisions, decisions!!

Cesar 12:11 08 Apr 04
  edstowe 12:41 08 Apr 04

I would think that there would be space and the facility to fit an internal hard drive into your machine. Most computers have the wiring etc to do this.

This way you will not only be getting the cheapest storage but the most reliable and this is by far the best means of storing backups nowadays.

€d

Southernboy 15:45 08 Apr 04

As mentioned in the previous thread mentioned above (Staples confusion) fitting another internal drive is not an option. I will repeat the reasons:-

1. I have no one who could fit another internal drive, even if I wanted one. I am not competant myself.

2. My PC is 6 years old and not worth upgrading. It will shortly be replaced by a more up-to-date model.

3. I prefer an external drive that can be attached to other PCs if I so require. Mainly, however, I feel it will be useful in the event of PC failure and/or replacement.

So, I am still undecided whether to go for a 750 Zip drive or an external HD. A further complication is that my current PC as FAT and the new PC will be NTFS, and I am told that the external drive will not work as efficiently on the new PC

Southernboy 13:18 13 Apr 04

Can ANYONE tell me if the Automatic Backup program that comes with the external 750 Zip Drive can be used as a basic backup program, without actually using the "backup as you work" option. That is to say, can one customise the program to carry out a full backup of files selected when it is first installed, and then insert the disc at the END of each session, and expect it to backup only files that have changed?

Then, at intervals, to insert a new disc and do another full backup, followed by incrementals backups on files that have changed.

Frankly, I am happy with the previous Iomega One-Step Backup that I use but, as it is not compatible with the 750 drive, can I actually use the latest program in the same way? In short, I like to stick with procedures I understand.

€dstowe 13:47 13 Apr 04

OK, an external hard drive will be appreciably lower cost than a Zip drive. Get a USB 2 hard drive. That will be compatible with both your old and new machines although with the old one it will be comparatively slow but even so, not as slow as a Zip drive.

I don't know if you've noticed but Iomega are now promoting external hard drives and not so much Zip drives these days - they realise the Zip days are numbered, no doubt!

Don't worry about FAT/NTFS. All that can be sorted out later with your new machine.

Remember that Win XP has a files and settings transfer wizard that allows you to easily trnasfer your files over.

€d

Southernboy 14:00 13 Apr 04

1. How can FAT/NTFS be sorted out?

2. I am not familiar with XP. How does the "files and settings transfer wizard" work?

I like to understand (as far as a non-technical person can) what sort of procedures I will be faced with, rather than leave it until I am faced with it. I have had problems in the past, having optd for something I do not actually understand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…