//some 3rd party need geo

I/O error

Drifter 23:16 18 Apr 05

Hello, does anyone know why a PC which is running fine(new HD with win98 installed), should suddenly refuse to boot, with the error message " Disk I/O error, relace the disk and press any key"?
Thanks
Adrian

AndySD 23:21 18 Apr 05

Do you have a floppy disk in the drive?

Totally-braindead 23:21 18 Apr 05

Have you altered the boot order in the BIOS, I've seen this sort of thing when I've left a floppy in the drive and I've got my PC set to boot from the floppy first.

Drifter 23:35 18 Apr 05

no, no disks in drives.

Totally-braindead 23:41 18 Apr 05

It can also come up with something similar if you've a cd in the cdrom and its set to boot from the cd before the hard drive.

AndySD 23:42 18 Apr 05

A cable has come loose inside...open the computer and look.

The CMOS battery may be flat(there is a battery on the motherboard that allows the information about the equipment attached to the motherboard to be saved). This battery has a life of 5 years in general terms.

Drifter 00:02 19 Apr 05

no discs in any drive, just changed cmos batt. and set BIOS. no change

Drifter 00:47 19 Apr 05

Have disconnected rom drives, no change

Drifter 10:38 19 Apr 05

I cant see any way round it except re-installing windows, I'll wait a while in case anyone has an idea
Cheers, Adrian

Totally-braindead 10:53 19 Apr 05

Regardless of the boot order you have in the BIOS, proving you have no disks in the drives you can ignore this being the problem, unless you don't have the BIOS set to boot from the hard drive of course. You mention a new hard drive, a few questions, is the old hard drive still in the system and if so have you correctly set them so one is slave and one is master? You say the computer is running fine does this mean that after this error you see it actually starts? If the new hard drive is the master, did you format it, install the operating system and then the motherboard drivers before you did anything else as its important its done in that order?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…