invalid xp product key

preston 00:39 AM 20 Apr 11

I have a valid xp product key and disk, but when i go through the setup on my new h/drive and get to the part where you have to enter the key, it tells me it is invalid. I have tried other valid keys and same thing. Whats going wrong.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08:08 AM 20 Apr 11

Keys are "keyed" to certain CDs

OEM disks need OEM keys Upgrade disks need Upgrade keys Non sevice pack keys cannot be use with a XP SP2 CD etc.

preston 09:25 AM 20 Apr 11

I understand all what you say. I have a valid disk and key,OEM disk OEM key, so why the problem?

Graphicool1 09:25 AM 20 Apr 11

This happened to me, I did a clean install using my WinXP disk. Then I was asked to enter the Key number. This was a problem, because the number was on the back of the PC. There would have had to be a big upheavel, for me to see it, so I used a mirror. I put the numbers in but they weren't accepted and it asked if I wanted to speak to someone on the phone. I said yes and spoke to a tech, he asked me for the number which i regaled him with. He also said it was incorrect. I didn't say I was reading it with the aid of a mirror. But I stuck to my guns and was adamant that the number was correct. So he gave me another number and all was fine.

Later I checked again using the mirror and realised I had mistakenly confused a 2 and a Z.

The moral of the stoy is: If you believe you are in the right, stand your ground. Who knows what the outcome may be. Afte all they can only accept or reject your statement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know