Invalid System Disk Error

paul1975 13:00 17 Oct 07

Hello,

A friend of mine has a windows 95 pc and keeps getting this error message.

I have booted from a Win 95 disk and ran the A:\>sys c: command to transfer files to his hard drive.

I then reboot the pc and i get the Win 95 splash screen.

However the pc then goes back to the POST screen with the message

Starting Windows 95

C:\

Any ideas why the OS wont load?

crosstrainer 13:34 17 Oct 07

Typing "win" without the quotes...If that fails, type cd windows (then press enter) then type win

crosstrainer 13:34 17 Oct 07

I meant when you get to the c:\ prompt

paul1975 14:05 17 Oct 07

Hi crosstrainer i just tried that but got an invalid command error :-(

crosstrainer 15:29 17 Oct 07

You have no windows directory.....From the c:/ prompt, if you type cd windows (cd means change directory) do you then see c:/windows?

crosstrainer 15:46 17 Oct 07

Try typing c: then press enter, then type dir and press enter. You should see a scrolling list of directories present on your hard drive (dir id dos speak for directory) If you don not see this, or get a different message, it's possible that you may need to re-install Windows. Bear in mind that 95,98.98se, and millenium are no longer supported by Microsoft, although third party sites still exist on the web.

Most people are using xp or vista now.

paul1975 16:07 17 Oct 07

Im at the C:\ already. Why do i need to type cd.. to try and change to c:\ if im already there??

crosstrainer 16:15 17 Oct 07

You are in the root of the drive with the dosplay showing c:/ not\.

paul1975 16:19 17 Oct 07

Surely the root is C:\ is it not?

I can try this tomorrow and let you know mate. Thanks for the help by the way

paul1975 16:23 17 Oct 07

Try typing c: then press enter, then type dir and press enter. You should see a scrolling list of directories present on your hard drive (dir id dos speak for directory) If you don not see this, or get a different message, it's possible that you may need to re-install Windows. Bear in mind that 95,98.98se, and millenium are no longer supported by Microsoft, although third party sites still exist on the web.

So i type C when the pc reboots back to C:\ sot hat its C:/C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…