Invalid Product Key number, XP Pro - easiest fix?

David-235429 14:01 24 May 05

I've had a PC for around 2 yrs and my copy of XP Pro appears not to be genuine. I had the PC made for me and assumed that I'd get a genuine copy.

I dont want to store up problems for the future and would like to be "legit" so whats the easiest and cheapest solution. An OEM copy for less than £80 on line? Would this mean I would lose everything on my pc if I install the new legitimate version?

Thanks for your help guys

TomJerry 14:03 24 May 05

when you get a legi one

Bob The Nob© 14:06 24 May 05

Ask Microsoft, they did a swap for people who recieved a pc with an illegal version of XP and they swapped it for a legit version. Try that.

Joe R 14:08 24 May 05

You can get an oem copy of xp home for around £60, as long as you buy a piece of suitable hardware. ( a keyboard qualifies in most stores ).

You would have to save your data you need though, as you will be a lot better off, with a new clean install.

DieSse 15:04 24 May 05

If you do have a pirate copy, just buying an OEM version and changing the product key may not work. many pirate versions are corporate copies, with different serial number sets than OEM, and retail version. Windows does know which set of serial numbers applies to which major XP types, and will reject ones which don't fit the correct range of numbers.

So the advice to get an OEM version, and do a clean install is by far the safest and most likely to work without causing you ongoing problems.

Unless you can persuade MS to supply you a legit copy in exchange, presumably, for some info about your pirated copy.

ianeon 15:35 24 May 05

Download a programme called "ROCKXP" (from Snapfiles, its a free prog.) when you get your legitimate serial number this programme allows you to change the number.

Joe R 15:38 24 May 05

Why on earth, would you want to change a legitimate serial number.?

DieSse 17:57 24 May 05

Said "Why on earth, would you want to change a legitimate serial number.?"

He/she doesn't want to - want's to change it TO a legitimate number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…