Invalid Product Key

square eyes 01:47 09 Jan 04

Hi,
Im helping a friend get connected and have her laptop with me.WXP Pro is the system and i wanted to install SP1 which i have on cd courtesy of MS, but when installing it an error saying "invalid product key" came up. If this is an unregistered copy then SP1 can't be installed so wouln't be safe to use on the internet?.
Should i reccommend she goes and buys a copy of XP home for £90?
I think im right in saying that if she tried to connect to Windows update, MS would identify an unregistered copy?

What would you do??

Any comments apprecitated.

thx

beeuuem 02:03 09 Jan 04

Don't know if this helps click here or this click here

square eyes 19:11 09 Jan 04

thankyou for that, but im not sure if i can change the product key. It looks like a "friend" of hers has put a pirated copy of XP pro on it, so now she wont qualify for an upgrade?

How much would a new copy of XP home be?
I can only see upgrades available from PCworld for £90.

A pirtaed copy will be useless because of the failure to install SP1 and other security updtes??

Any other advice please

961 19:30 09 Jan 04

Where did the laptop come from and what did it have on it when it arrived? Is it secondhand? Where was it bought? How old is it? These and other questions need to be answered before we go splashing out on software. Is there an older original o/s that actually belongs to the machine?

Post the story of this laptop and then no doubt sensible advice can be given on what to do next

spuds 20:04 09 Jan 04

If you want to buy a new O/S try click here and use QuickFind numbers 50264 [XP Home] or 52362 [XP Pro] Both of these come complete with SP1.

square eyes 20:17 09 Jan 04

Spuds, that's intersting, PCworld said that an upgrade was £90 and a full O/S was £180!

The link u gave says nothing about it being an upgrade and for the amazing price of £68 ?!?!?!?

Can this be true or would it only work if there is W98 or ME ect. previously on the machine?

Djohn 20:59 09 Jan 04

square eyes, They are the full version and do not require a qualifying O/S [Operating system]

spuds 21:06 09 Jan 04

Yep its true. OEM versions full products, not upgrades.Thats what I use. Go for it.

A Cat Called George 21:08 09 Jan 04

It does seem that your friend has a pirate copy of Windows xp. When Microsoft released sp1 they "turned off" the product keys most often used by pirates so the service pack would not install. However the Windows update site will still work, so the updates can be applied seperately. But sp1 will never work both from cd and download.

Pappyon 11:36 10 Jan 04

I am running a genuine copy of Windows XP Home and have been for over 2 years, and I have never installed SP1 or any other updates and I haven't been turned to stone yet, nor has my system blown up! I only ever got one virus from the internet and got rid of ot with AVG Free version

961 14:58 10 Jan 04

Pappyon

Ditto

Guess that like me you don't go trawling round pirate and free music download sites looking for trouble

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…