Invalid Partition table

badgermansix 15:41 09 Aug 05

WinXP HE SP2, After uninstalling Norton system works Ghost, and overcoming a couple of small(?) problems, I am getting a message at start up "Invalid Pertition Table"
The start up Freezes at this message.

However if I start up using a floppy WinXP startup disk, Windows will work o.k.

Any ideas please?
TIA

woodchip 16:00 09 Aug 05

If you can Get into Windows right click C:\ drive and click Properties\Tools Check Disc

badgermansix 17:37 09 Aug 05

woodchip, thank you, I am doing this now, it is on my wifes PC.

I have just looked for the contents of the floppy disk that starts WindowsXP. I wanted to see what files it was installing.
Although the properties show about a third full, there are no files showing when I open the disk??

badgermansix 17:42 09 Aug 05

woodchip, I have just completed Check disk as you suggested, removed the Floppy, restarted the PC whith the same result "Invalid Partition Table"

But why will the PC start up correctly from a Floppy "Start up disk" and I cannot see the files that that disk contains?

woodchip 18:02 09 Aug 05

What did you run Check disc on?

ACOLYTE 18:10 09 Aug 05

Are you running a dual boot system? and have you any partitons,there can only be 1 active at a time.

GaT7 18:54 09 Aug 05

"It is possible that the master partition table has become corrupted." Appears ACOLYTE is right click here.

A few things you could try click here. G

badgermansix 20:57 09 Aug 05

woodchip, "C" I thought it would be "C" automatically?

badgermansix 21:09 09 Aug 05

further, I installed Ghost only and but made an image of "c" drive on "j" drive (a Zenith card reader drive) instead of "g" drive (a second new HD).
I did not know this until I restarted the PC.
When I looked at at Disk Management I found that Ghost had made a new partition within "C" drive.

I deleted this partition and uninstalled Ghost, did regedit and removed eveything concerning Ghost in then registry.

I am now looking at the Disk Management window, it is showing "C" drive as healthy (boot) unpartitioned, and "G" drive healthy, unpartitioned.

woodchip 21:47 09 Aug 05

The problem me thinks is you deleting the partition created in C: then Deleting Ghost Try reinstalling Ghost.

PS "System works can correct the problem" you are having, By running Disk Doctor

swapper 08:05 10 Aug 05

ACOLYTE, Crossbow7, thank you for your imput, it looked like a lot of reading so I was just settling down to it!

woodchip, thank you,thank you,thank you,

thank you,thank you, thank you :-))

Disk doctor and WinDoctor did the trick, and I am not over fond of Nortons!!

Thanks again everyone!

I have now installed Ghost on its own via NSW-Browse disk-Ghost.msi As advised by woodchip in 2004.

So I now have the same Ghost prog. on two PC's from the same Norton 2003 disk.

I image copy my C drive on my PC about once every three weeks, this works like a dream!
I have just gone through the same routine on my wifes PC, Nortons has restarted as it should into Doss but the screen has now frozen with the
Norton Ghost screen, and the busy hour glass, which is frozen, I am reluctant to switch it off at the moment :-((((

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…