Invalid MS DOS error message

gftreeton 15:32 PM 27 Aug 12

I have a SATA hard drive in a Caddy that I’ve recently been getting an ‘Invalid MS-DOS function’ error message on some files when copying them across onto my main PC hard drive. This seemed to be getting worse, so I did a bit of Internet ‘rooting around’ to try and find a solution. The consensus seemed to be that running the error checking function in Drive properties with the “automatically fix errors” switch ticked should solve the problem. So I thought, “why not – that can’t do any harm, can it?” Now the caddy drive has lost it’s name, and I can’t open it – what is more, in the Windows 7 Disk Management utility, the drive is still showing with the right capacity - but the file system is shown as ‘RAW’. Help! Can anyone tell me how to get my files back without the nuclear option of re-formatting the drive?

lotvic 16:08 PM 27 Aug 12

Possibly EaseUS Data Recovery Free Edition might help. But wait for others to comment, I have never used it (but I do use free Partition Manager)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 PM 27 Aug 12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

ZAK releases more videos showing what happens if you ask other professions to work for free

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know