Invalid long file name

B4HS 00:26 25 Mar 05

Have Windows 98
Get intermittent freezes, usually when I am saving or changing applications. Ctrl-Alt-Del causes a restart with the usual ' windows is checking for faults..' When check is 54% complete the check stops and a window appears reading "Scandisk has detected an invalid long filename entry on this drive but was unable to fix it. To fix this problem, run Scandisc for Windows'
When Scandisc for Windows is run the little progress bar keeps re-starting and eventually produces a message that it has tried to do its job ten times and failed so it is giving up (or words to that effect)
PC will then run normally for a while then freezes etc etc. What should I do ?

Totally-braindead 01:33 25 Mar 05

Have you tried running scandisk in safe mode?

B4HS 23:17 25 Mar 05

Did as you suggested. Had tried Scandisk for Windows in safe mode, it did the 'ten tries and failed' thing. When I ran Scandisk in safe mode it did the start/stop thing for a bit but eventually came up as 'completed'. But when I deliberately closed incorrectly the'checking for faults' came up again with the "Scandisk has detected an invalid long filename entry on this drive but was unable to fix it. To fix this problem, run Scandisc for Windows' as before.
Any ideas ?
A passing granny hit me on the back with her stick and said 'try MS DOS mode, type in scanreg/restore..' But the message was incomplete, I have no idea what it means and I fret about going into MS DOS. What do you think ?
Could this be a virus ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…