invalid installation

bax 02:04 05 Sep 03

If I leave my laptop, running XP Pro, unattended for more than a few minutes, when I return to the screen there is an information warning.

It simply says:

Invalid installation. Please re install. There is a button to click OK. No other details are given.

Where should I look to resolve this?

Djohn 02:10 05 Sep 03

Can you give more info? did the laptop come with XP installed, or have you installed yourself? If so, how long has it been giving this message? j.

bax 02:29 05 Sep 03

XP preinstalled on Acer Travelmate 830Lci. Appeared a couple of weeks ago.

Cannot pinpoint when exactly, but probably started after installing some programs. I could delete them all, but thought that there might be a way to highlight which one was causing the problem.
Otherwise there is no problem with the working of the computer/programs, so that does not give me any pointers either.

Djohn 02:58 05 Sep 03

I've had a search round and can't find any information that relates exactly to your problem. The nearest I can get to it refers to an invalid "Product key", but this is on installing. You already have XP installed so it may be a corrupt/lost file.

You should be able to do a repair of XP without loss of personal files and settings. I would prefer you to wait for more advice on this though, and others will see the thread later on today.

If your thread starts to slip to-wards the bottom of the page, just add another comment to it, and it will come back to the top. Sorry, that I am unable to help, but someone will have the answer for you. j.

powerless 04:53 05 Sep 03

Start > Run > Type:

Click ok.

Click STARTUP up at the top. Remove all the ticks from the boxes and click ok. Restart the laptop.

Now if the message does not appear then it is one of those programs in the list that is causing the "Invalid installation". To find which one it is add one tick back just for one program and restart and it should reveal the program that is causing the "Invalid installation".

Also go to start > Run > Type:

click ok.

Click the APPLICATION and SYSTEM logs and have a look for ERRORS. Double click the error and have a read what the log tells you. You may find its the same that your recieving on the screen.

Do you have Microsoft Office installed or even Windows XP Service Pack 1? I'm sure i heard of something simliar happening with either of the two installed (i think).

bax 13:52 06 Sep 03

Thanks Djohn & Powerless for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…