Invalid Configuration Information

Curio 14:55 08 Oct 08

Dell Dimension 4550, Windows XP SP3.
A couple of days ago I switched on the Wall Socket to boot up and to my surprise that was sufficient to power up the PC and Monitor. I then received a black screen with white text quoting the Pheonix Bios. Main point was that Invalid Configuration Information occurred and Automatic IDE Configuration would be carried out.
I then got the message - Please run Setup programme.
This was followed by Click F1 to Proceed normally or Click F2 to run Setup. Clicking F2 got me nowhere and F1 got me fully booted up. However the date/time was years and months out.
Tried rebooting to get to F2 for Setup, but no joy.
Is there another way I can get into Setup in order to correct the time and date permamently?

birdface 15:08 08 Oct 08

Try safe mode.Maybe you need a new battery.

retep888 15:11 08 Oct 08

You might have to check it as well.

Curio 20:01 08 Oct 08

Understand I have to get into Setup to note the System Settings. Do not appear able to boot to Safe Mode, get a message advising Keyboard failure.
Have found on the Net that leaving PC powered up for 24 hours can recharge the battery and resolve this problem. Will try that and see what happens.

tullie 20:07 08 Oct 08

As i understand it,once the cmos batteries gone,thats it,they arent rechargable

Curio 20:10 08 Oct 08

Got the info from here
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:42 08 Oct 08

Change the CMOS battery they are only £2.99 for two from Wilkinsons stores.

Curio 13:52 09 Oct 08

Fully intend changing CMOS battery when I can find a way to get into Setup and save the settings before taking old battery out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 09 Oct 08

Don't bother if battery is flat you will have lost all settings anyway.

Just renew battery the Bios will go to default settings.

chub_tor 17:25 09 Oct 08

You was robbed! £1.75 for two in Tesco.

Curio 12:19 11 Oct 08

Couldn't get battery cheaper than £2.50 from local PC Shop. £3.25 in Bulk!
Anyway, battery changed and everything now back to normal. Thanks for prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…