invalid boot.ini file keeps appearing on boot up ?

andy63walsh 08:12 02 Feb 07

invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:windows..... keeps appearing on boot up of my laptop, what is this ? Is it a fault ?

ed-0 09:14 02 Feb 07

Right click my computer > properties > advanced > startup and recovery > system start up > edit. Like click here

What does yours say?

andy63walsh 09:27 02 Feb 07

When i do that it says "boot.ini file cannot be opened operating system and timeout settings cant be changed" then it goes to another screen not like the one you showed me !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:30 02 Feb 07

Does it boot into windows?

If so
Start- run - type msconfig press OK
boot.ini tab - check all boot paths

then retry.

andy63walsh 20:04 02 Feb 07

Hi, I done what you said 'fruit bat' but can't find boot.ini tab there.

woodchip 20:49 02 Feb 07

Try this. First press Windows Key plus E to open Windows Explorer. Under C:\ look for Boot.ini

If you can see it, rename it by putting a X at the end of boot as BootX.ini. If you are running XP home,
Open Notepad and copy this below into Notepad

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptI
Copy all the above text then paste into Notepad, I have put a Space in-between each line of text. You should remove these spaces, then save to C:\ with the name Boot.ini

andy63walsh 11:28 03 Feb 07

Thanks, I think that has worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…