Invalid Boot.ini file

anchor 14:15 16 Mar 04

I have just recently noticed that on boot up, I get the following message: "Invalid Boot.ini file, booting from C:\windows". I use Windows-XP Pro, with SP-1.

The PC then proceeds to boot-up normally, and I have no problems. I have searched for this file, but cannot find it.

I did find a month old file named "boot.ini.backup" in C:windows\pss. Where should this be restored to?.

Should I be concerned about the message, and what can I do to correct it?. System restore did not make any difference. Naturally, I would like to get things back to normal.

Big Elf 14:18 16 Mar 04

boot.ini is in c:\ but it's a hidden file.

Big Elf 14:19 16 Mar 04

This might help click here

Diodorus Siculus 14:21 16 Mar 04

boot.ini should be a hidden file in the root of your boot drive, most likely C drive. Check that you have the "view all files" option on in the folders options, and you should see it theref.

temp003 14:28 16 Mar 04

It's likely you've somehow lost the original c:\boot.ini file.

Run msconfig and see if there's a boot.ini tab. If there isn't, it's missing.

Make a copy of the boot.ini.backup file you found, put it under c:\, and rename it boot.ini (remember to enable file extensions to be shown).

Then check msconfig, the boot.ini tab should come back.

anchor 14:40 16 Mar 04

Bravo temp003: I followed your advice, and the problem solved. Yes, the boot.ini tab is now back and the PC boots normally.

Heaven knows how the file became deleted; I certainly did not do it.

Thanks a lot!!.

anchor 14:45 16 Mar 04

Thanks to Big Elf and Diodorus Siculus for offering their help too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…