Invalid boot.ini file

Double Helix 10:16 20 Jan 04

Hi there, just recently found out about this and was wondering if someone can help me with a problem I'm currently having on a relative's machine.

After replacing a dodgy HDD, I've re-installed Windows etc and on restart I got the error message 'NTLDR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. So, I copied NTLDR and NTDETECT onto c:\ and restarted again. I'm now getting the message 'Invalid Boot.ini file, booting from c:\windows\ and it then hangs.

Am I needing to amend the boot.ini file somehow and if so, does anyone know how? I'd also prefer not having to format again...if at all possible!!!!

Thanks in advance

MichelleC 10:24 20 Jan 04

I'm assuming you're xp click here

You need to change Folders view to show protected system files (don't forget to change back). If you showed boot.ini contents here I'm sure someone else could help.

Double Helix 10:37 20 Jan 04

Hi, thanks for the quick reply Michelle.

I'll give that a whirl and see how it goes, will post back incase anyone has a similar problem in the future.

Below is how my boot.ini looks, hopefully someone can spot something wrong with it, because it's a bit much for me!!

[boot loader]
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

spikeychris 10:59 20 Jan 04

Double Helix, your boot.ini is fine, whats your status now?

Chegs ® 11:00 20 Jan 04

[boot loader]
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

This is my boot.ini file,its the same as yours.I wouldn't attempt anything further,I would suggest your safest option is to run the "Repair" option from XP cd.The biggest downside to that is you will need to repatch XP (d/l all the updates over again)

Double Helix 11:39 20 Jan 04

I had thoughtso. It's still giving me the same message strangely. I tried running repair and anything I tried to do froze after about 5-10 mins. It's acting quite bizarre!!

I'll try a format and re-install XP, see if that gets me anywhere.

Thanks for the info will post back after another wipe!!

Double Helix 19:48 20 Jan 04

This is a busy forum!!

I've re-installed XP (Pro) and I'm in roughly the same position - getting the 'NTLDR is missing' again, so I've copied ntldr and ntdetect over and rebooted. Then got the message 'Invalid boot.ini file booting from C:\Windows' and then it booted up!?

Being as surpised as I was, I restarted and then got the message 'Searching for boot record from IDE-0...OK' and it then hangs.

I have it slaved to another HDD which has XP Home and I'm finding that the dirve with Pro on it doesn't have a boot.ini file (I think this may have been my problem before). I'm copying over the boot.ini from XP Home to XP Pro and noticing the line below

I'm not sure if the part in quotes have any bearing on anything, or if I can change it or what, but it would be very much appreciated if someone who does know can advise me.

Thanks (*Dips fingers in cold water*)

BBez 20:49 20 Jan 04

this should repair your boot.ini file from the recovery here

temp003 09:36 21 Jan 04

Your boot.ini is fine. The words in quotes have no bearing on the issue (you can in fact change it to anything).

Usually a repair reinstall will solve such problems.

But you said you have reinstalled XP Pro, and you get back the same problem.

Did the installation actually finish, or did the error messages appear after the 1st restart (the full installations require 2 restarts before loading into XP proper).

Double Helix 22:38 22 Jan 04

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, its been endless on this thing!

Thanks for the link to repair my though that seems to have cleared after a re-install!!

I'm now getting another message, when the login screen appears: 'lsass.exe: an I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably...' It was quite lengthy so I've omitted the last of it. I gather that lsass is responsible for authenticating a login (After anotherre-install and getting the same!!) and tried adding only one user...SUCCESS!!! At least for now it is working and I can now further look into adding other users on, as soon as I add another account the same happens on reboot.

Temp003 I figured it was somewhere about there and problems always seemed to occur on the 2nd or 3rd reboot.

Thanks for the help people - its been very much appreciated. Hopefully I can return the favour in time.

I'm not too keen on ticking the resolved box - but hey!!

Cheers again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…