Invalid Boot.INI booting from C:/windows

bogs 22:30 08 Apr 04

Does anyone know how to correct this problem? If so all help much appreciated. Think it has something to do with BIOS, but on that one I need step by step instruction!

Many thanks in advance.

VoG II 22:32 08 Apr 04

Which version of Windows?

hugh-265156 22:42 08 Apr 04

this is re: win XP click here click here

not sure about other versions sorry

temp003 00:29 09 Apr 04

I assume that despite the message, you can still boot into Windows XP?

You are probably missing the C:\boot.ini file and Windows is now booting from a backup copy in a subfolder from the C:\WINDOWS folder.

Click Start, Run, type msconfig and press Enter. If there is no "boot.ini" tab, then your c:\boot.ini file has for some reason disappeared.

You need to locate the backup copy, copy it to C:\ and rename it as c:\boot.ini.

In My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab. (1) Tick Show Hidden Files and Folders. (2) Untick Hide file extensions for known file types. (3) Untick Hide protected operating system files - say yes to confirmation box. (4) Click OK.

Then see if there is a c:\windows\pss folder, and a file there called boot.ini.backup or boot.ini.bak or boot.bak (something like that).

If you can't, just use XP's Search function to search for "boot" in the C:\WINDOWS folder.

If you find it, open the file with Notepad, and if you see it is just a text file beginning with the words [boot loader], then that's the file you want.

When you find it, copy it to the C root directory (just C:\). Then rename the file as boot.ini

Restart to see if the error message disappears.

norman47 18:42 13 Jul 04

Just used the search facility to sort out an invalid boot.ini

Followed your second link and it worked as sweet as a nut.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…