invalid boot.ini

neo1337 18:48 02 Oct 06

M laptop keeps coming up:
Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from C:\windowsI followed the instructions for this error on the Microsoft website to no avail and now my laptop is even more of a hunk of junk than usual. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

mattyc_92 19:02 02 Oct 06

Open your "boot.ini" file with NotePad and copy and paste the contents onto this forum (or, if you prefer, click the yellow envolope next to my name to email me the info) and I will have a look to see if there is any obvious problems for you

skidzy 19:05 02 Oct 06

click here
click here

Insert your Windows XP CD and restart your PC. Assuming your PC is set to boot from CD first you should see a prompt inviting you to press any key to boot from it. Do so, and you’ll see the start of the Windows XP installation process. Eventually, you’ll come to a screen where you’ll be asked to set up Windows or press [R] to launch the Recovery Console. Press [R] and wait for it to load.

You’ll first be asked which Windows installation you wish to log on to: press [1]. When prompted for a password, press [Return] - the administrator password is blank by default.

When the C:>Windows> prompt appears, type bootcfg /rebuild and press [Return]. After a while, all available Windows installations on your PC will be listed, and you can decide whether or not they should be included in the new boot.ini file - we suggest pressing [Y] followed by [Return]. When asked to enter a 'Load Identifier’, type Windows XP or whatever version of Windows has been detected. Finally, under 'OS Load Options’ type /fastdetect and press [Return]. Finally type exit and press [Return] and the error message should be gone.

If there are any unwanted entries left on the boot menu, you can remove them from within Windows itself. See support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022 for full details.

Text taken from click here

neo1337 19:13 02 Oct 06

Done that already, but windows still won't boot

Terry Brown 20:54 02 Oct 06

Try going to RUN . type in MSCONFIG Select BOOT.INI and check boot paths
Terry

neo1337 21:13 03 Oct 06

That would be great, but i cant even get into windows

VoG II 21:17 03 Oct 06
  neo1337 16:33 04 Oct 06

Done that three times. Still no joy.

neo1337 16:02 16 Oct 06

OK i found out the problem was with the NTFS file system. I formatted the drive as FAT32 and re-installed windows and now it works. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…