INVALID BOOT INI FILE-so what now?

ammiel 12:09 03 Mar 07

OS is XP Home SP2 and regularly updated, suddenly unable to boot. Have tried to boot from OEM Microsoft XP disc without success i.e. "press any key to boot from CD" simply doesn't.
Please excuse my inexperience, but I would welcome step by step instructions/help to recover my system.Thanks.

rawprawn 14:27 03 Mar 07

Have you changed the boot order to boot from CD first in Setup?

rawprawn 14:34 03 Mar 07

click here Ignore the first bit about Wipe Drive, from Step 1 it shows you how to enter BIOS and chande the boot order. You need to set it to boot from CD 1st

rawprawn 14:36 03 Mar 07

Then click here

ammiel 15:06 03 Mar 07

Thanks for your time; yes I did reset to boot from CD first, but then could not do so, and cannot get back to the bios screen by pressing delete on initial power up now either!

rawprawn 15:35 03 Mar 07

Try holding the Enter Key down when hitting Delete
also try F1 and F2, what machine have you got?

ammiel 17:31 03 Mar 07

Thanks, did get to setup and confirm set to CD boot first.
Still not able to boot from CD. Shows "booting from C:/windows/" after the "INVALID BOOT INI FILE", which to me seems like it's not trying to boot from CD at all.
It is 3 yrs old AMD Athlon 2.8Ghz,1Gb RAM MSI K7N2DELTA mbd,Seagate 200Gb SATA HDD (6Months old),Nvidia graphics,LG DVD ROM and LG Multi recorder. Reasonable spec built by local company where we used to live but that's 160 miles away and they've changed hands recently so I'm on my own. Beginning to wish I'd bought a Mac!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 03 Mar 07

Boot to BIOS set first boot device to CD set all others to none especially if iy asks to ty other boot devices set to disable.

See if it will boot from CD with these settings.

However once you have repaired the .ini file you will ned to reset it to boot from HDD.

ammiel 09:16 08 Mar 07

Thanks both of you. Still hasn't booted from CD but I'm going up the learning curve and have some repair software on its way will see what the weekend brings!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…