Invalid Boot Ini file

Farleyjim 14:29 06 Oct 09

Each time I turn on my PC I get "Invalid Boot Ini file Booting from Windows".
The PC then carries on and boots up normally. Although I am not too bothered, I would like to find out why this is happening. Any ideas?
Thanks

woodchip 16:35 06 Oct 09

If you are running XP Home. check you Boot.ini File with this one, or replace it with it.
Boot.ini is in the root of C:\

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Terry Brown 17:11 06 Oct 09

In the RUN box, type in MSCONFIG.

Go to the Boot.ini box

Select Check all boot paths.

If there is a problem with boot up , this will find and repair it.

It is always a good idea to make a bopy of te boot.ini (save as boot.bak), so if necessary you can refere back to it.
Terry

highside 18:36 06 Oct 09

Is there a similar test for Vista boot?
Thanks

woodchip 19:12 06 Oct 09
  highside 15:55 07 Oct 09

Thanks woodchip - when I type Dcdedit the resulant screen fashes on for a split second only

woodchip 16:42 07 Oct 09

Its BCDedit and you should do it at the Command Prompt.

Start\Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt

highside 12:52 10 Oct 09

Thanks woodchip, found BCD edit also a list of switches but where do I go now?
The links you gave interestingly mention a switch '/maxmem' but that does not appear on my Vista printout of BCDedit. I wonder if that is the area of my problems. ie with compatible RAM added of 2x2GB my laptop will not boot unless I press f8 every time. The RAM passes all memory tests and Samsung tell me that 4GB should be fine in my R60 plus. But obviously the RAM is still preventing a clean boot.

woodchip 13:29 10 Oct 09

Taken you are far as I can, As I use XP. Have you tried booting with one stick of Ram, as that looks like it may be your problem. you need to switch these round to find out if there is a Bad Stick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…