Intrusive sound

George2002 15:29 30 May 03

I get a loud "gloop" type of sound every time I connect to a site on the web. I first noticed it when I was searching for music on the web using windows media, each time before the music started there was this awful "gloop" like sound coming from my loudspeakers. After this I noticed that it occured each time I connected to any site on the web. I have to keep the volume control turned right down as the sound is most intrusive and startling.

My operating system is XP home on a newish computer (4 months old) with Media player 9 and a 5.1 surround sound loudspeaker system.

The problem might have been with the computer before I started searching for music as previously I always surfed with the sound turned down.

It doesn't seem to have any other effect, I checked with Panda - my antivirus supplier but they couldn't help.

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me to solve this problem

^wave^ 15:53 30 May 03

check what sounds you have set in he control panel

wee eddie 18:51 30 May 03

Several of the special Screen savers attach special sounds to such happenings.

I remember the insecty one does something like this.

George2002 11:48 31 May 03

Wave: I've turned off all the sounds in the control panel but it makes no difference.

Wee eddie: I'm not using any screen savers, the pc came with the Evesham logo on the desktop but I turned that off in favour of the plain blue screen.

Big Elf 13:22 31 May 03

I have the same 'gloop' sound. I think it's related to a program called Cookie Patrol and signifies that it has just deleted a cookie it deems intrusive.

If you have this program installed you can load a silent 'cookiecrunch.wav' file from click here
and replace the current file stored in c\:program files\pest patrol with this new version.

If you don't have this program then I'm stumped.

billyliv 13:38 31 May 03

Hi, Try this. Open 'Control Panel', select 'Sounds and Audio devices' click on the Sounds tab and in the 'Sounds scheme' select 'No Sounds' cheers, Bill

George2002 00:37 06 Jun 03

To Big Elf
Thank you so much for your help, it is definately Cookie Patrol that is causing the problem. I tried to download the silent 'cookie crunch.wav' file as you suggested but it just takes me around in circles. I have disabled 'Pest Patrol' for the time being until such time a I can download the silent wav. file, and the gloop sound has completely gone away. I am so grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction and dare to wonder why the programmers of Pest Patrol used such an annoying sound to announce the blocking of a cookie. Thank you once again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…