Intetnet Connection Firewall

John-252717 09:37 04 Mar 03

My settings have gone from the ICF in WinXP. I am now wide open where previously I was fully stealthed. Does anyone know how to get the original settings back?

dth 11:31 04 Mar 03

Speaking from memory here (as Win 98 machines at work).

Open Control Panel and click on the Network icon. If you right click and select the advanced tab - you can tick the firewall box.

John-252717 11:50 04 Mar 03

No that doesn't work. It seems as though all settings have been altered. If I go into icf settings, half of them are missing completely. May try to copy them from laptop as those settings are ok.

billyliv 13:13 04 Mar 03

Hi, Click on 'MY Network Places', on the left hand window click on 'View Network Connections' Right click on one of your connections and select 'Properties', click on the 'Advanced' tab.Is your I.C.F. unchecked, if so check it. Cheers, Bill

John-252717 13:36 04 Mar 03

No. already tried that. half the settings have been removed.
I've enabled and disabled it and also gone into settings to rewrite them, the first one is FTP Server on port 21, don't know what IP address is needed. It was ghosted out, now it has been removed allong with the other settings. The only settings left are:
msmsgs
Post-Office Protocol Version 3
and a few that I added for msn messenger.

billyliv 13:56 04 Mar 03

Hi, If you are using WIN XP try your earliest restore point. cheers, Bill

dth 15:11 04 Mar 03

It pays to be cautious whenever p/c security features do not appear to work any longer. Would suggest that you run a virus scan to be on the safeside.

Back to the firewall - as the XP included version on offers basic one way (to your p/c no protection is included for connections from your p/c) why don't you install one of the satandard firewall programs like Outpost or ZoneAlarm.

John-252717 07:59 05 Mar 03

I have norton 2002 running and have checked for viruses. Have installed sygate just to keep safe, but am confused as to how these settings could have been changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple