Interpreting AVG results.

Simsy 16:53 08 Jun 06

While browsing an hour or so ago, AVG popped up and warned me that a Trojan had been found. (I’m afraid I don’t recall associated with which file, or it’s name.) I “healed it and carried on with things.

I subsequently decided it would be a good idea to do a full scan and cleanup.

The scan reported no Virus found, but, because I’d had the warning I paid more attention to the results and I did notice a couple of what I presume to be strange entries; click here

I normally do a full scan, (and spyware check etc), every few weeks, and normally just get “No Virus Found” and move on, without paying further attention, so I don’t know if the results I’ve indicated are unusual or not…

Can anyone advise whether I should be concerned? The PC has rebooted normally and nothing seems untoward.

Thanks in anticipation,

Devil Fish 18:55 08 Jun 06

if you are unsure you can get a second opinion here

click here

run a scan see if it throws up anything

Simsy 20:07 08 Jun 06

I'm happy that I don't have a problem... what I'm after is trying to understand what AVG is telling me?

terryf 00:40 09 Jun 06

Thanks crx1600, that worked for me, I had previously accepted the AVG results, now I know why

Simsy 00:49 09 Jun 06

I'll consider that solved then!

For the benefit of others I've reproduced the relevant Q&A that crx1600 has provided a link to.

Re: AVG free edition shows shell32.dll changed???
Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)
Date: June 8, 2006 05:30PM

It is normal that AVG shows that files, the MBR or Boot record to have changed. These are done during normal maintainance, when you or windows updates files or have had to correct errors on the drive. The only time that you should worry is if they also show as infected.

To get AVG to quit showing them as changed, open the AVG Test Center, click the F3 key on your keyboard and tell it to accept the changes. If it still shows something as changed after this.. delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ and AVG will rebuild it the next time it is run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…