internet/admin connection problems

eysha 15:30 19 Sep 09

Hi, i am with Virgin on cable and find that quite often it tells me i have only local or limited connectivity. Does anyone know why this happends?
Also everytime i want to do soemthing it says i need administrator's permission but i am not on a net work, there is only me so how do i set it to be administrator?
Thanks in advance.
E.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:35 19 Sep 09

local or limited connectivity

sounds like you are losing your connection to Virgin
possibilies are you modem
your cable connection from the street
or virgin severs
contact virgin if it happens on a regular basis

If your using VIsta this is deliberate to stop other people hacking into and using your machine
click here

eysha 15:43 19 Sep 09

Thanks, yes i am on vista so i take it that the admin thing is supposed to be that way.
regarding the connection - my daughter connects to the same wirelass cable connection and she never has the problem so i am not sure it is the modem etc. i am on a laptop with vista and this machine is only a few months old, about 10.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 19 Sep 09

Ok if connecting by wireless and another machine is OK then that rules out the cable modem and router so must be :
1. your wireless card in your machine or
2. your location in your building in respect to the router

1. Check in device manager that the wireless card is not set to be switched off by windows to save power.
right click card select properties - power management tab

2. Next time you lose it see if your daughters machine will connect from the exact same place as your machine

eysha 16:01 19 Sep 09

where in device manager is it?
any my daughter is maybe three feet away from me right now and she never has this problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 19 Sep 09

Probably under Network Adaptors
right click wireless card select properties - power management tab

if there is no power management tab then windows cannot switch it off.

Might also be worth trying to update the driver for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…