Internet worms

CurlyWhirly 08:45 09 Jul 04

Hi,
I have heard so much lately about internet worms like the sasser worm that seek out PC's that haven't been properly patched or kept up to date with firewall, anti-virus, etc.
What I was wondering was since a worm is really like most software and is a program how does it get executed while roaming around the internet?
What I mean is when you run a program on your PC the actual program/data instructions are executed out by your CPU so how can the program even function outside of a PC?
I am just curious!

Molded 09:01 09 Jul 04

Have a look at this for starters :

click here

CurlyWhirly 09:25 09 Jul 04

Cheers for the link to 'How Stuff Works' - this is a website that I have added to my favourites!
I now know that worms piggy back on top of genuine programs and spring to life when the genuine program is run but what I don't get is HOW they can SEARCH for vulnerable PC's to infect while roaming the internet?
A computer virus surely has some characteristics of a real virus i.e. the virus lays dormant while outside of the human body and only comes to life when INSIDE the body?
Going back to computer viruses if the virus is DORMANT then how can it search for vulnerable PC's to infect in the first place?

Belatucadrus 11:08 09 Jul 04
  CurlyWhirly 17:27 09 Jul 04

Cheers BELATUCADRUS - your links proved extremely useful and I have spent a fair amount of time reading all 3 and I think I have a much better understanding now of how internet worms work!
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…