internet wont work on new laptop

Sheps 23:40 04 Dec 07

Hi ya peeps,
well i've already explained on here that my sons new acer aspire 5310,isnt very fast, its running on vista but some how its not playing ball with us....it says on the front that it is 802.11g WLAN i've got a Speedtouch Router, but when we try to connect to the internet it doesnt want to connect to mine, but it connects to nexts doors (as its unsecure) why wont it connect to mine ???? please can someone give me a easy peasey step by step guide on how i'm supposed to set up a laptop to receive my AOL broadband. I really dont know wot else to do apart from scream, i've spent the last 3days trying to sort this out, my son has his xbox live running off the router, and has no probs, mind u he is using the ethernet cable. Plz can someone help us out, as the poor lad has been unable to use the internet on the laptop. bless him lol, many thanks in advance. sheps

woodchip 23:45 04 Dec 07

If your Router is Wireless you have to go into Router Settings Page and check out the Wireless settings for SSID and Key. These have to be put into Wireless Computer Network Settings for you to Connect

Sheps 23:57 04 Dec 07

Hi ya Woodchip,
I've already set up the ssid and key, I really dont know wot else i'm supposed to do, this is all new to me this wireless stuff, i just got the router so my youngest could plug in a cable for xbox live, and my eldest wants the wireless for his laptop, but i just dont know where i've gone wrong setting it up, cos i can connect to nextdoors lol, but not my own, i can see my connection and its says excellent strength, yet my neigbours is poor lol, I really dont know wot to do next ???????????????

Sheps 23:57 04 Dec 07

Hi ya Woodchip,
I've already set up the ssid and key, I really dont know wot else i'm supposed to do, this is all new to me this wireless stuff, i just got the router so my youngest could plug in a cable for xbox live, and my eldest wants the wireless for his laptop, but i just dont know where i've gone wrong setting it up, cos i can connect to nextdoors lol, but not my own, i can see my connection and its says excellent strength, yet my neigbours is poor lol, I really dont know wot to do next ???????????????

Sheps 00:03 05 Dec 07

Be back on tomorrow now, hopefully we can sort it tomoz lol ,,many thanks

woodchip 00:14 05 Dec 07

Have you tried reboot the Router with the Laptop Switched on

Killo Bite 00:28 05 Dec 07

AOL software AOL 9VR "Hence the VR for Vista Release).

But the other main problems sounds like the configuration of the SpeedTouch Router. Is the Wirless Lan Enabled on the router ? Is the correct Key typed in?

What model of SpeedTouch router is it and version please. Is it the SpeedTouch 580 v6 or the Live Box Router ?. If its actually a SpeedTouch 330 then this is not a router but a USB Modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…