Internet without phone line

laurieballard 15:05 06 Oct 04

i do not currently have a phone line and do not want one. I do however want the internet withier broadband or dial up. I used to have BT Broadband but this turned out to be a disaster, as the first software CD that bt sent me exploded into bits taking my DVD-RW drive with it and BT refused to do anything about this. After loosing around £150 on my DVD-RW drive i terminated my contarct with BT for both phone and broadband and refuse to go back to them. I use my mobile more than landline so do not want to pay the line rental for something i cannnot use. My question is whether there is any way to acess the internet without a phone line. Also i do not live in a cable area

JonnyTub 15:06 06 Oct 04

gprs, expensive though.

or satellite, very expensive

Colinp 15:10 06 Oct 04

Local library, internet cafe?. Depends how much use you want or need from the internet.

laurieballard 15:13 06 Oct 04

ok cheers but any idea why the BT Broadband CD exploded destroying my expensive DVD-RW drive

Magik ®© 15:17 06 Oct 04

never heard of a CD "exploding" anyway, as long as you did not cut off your nose to spite your face, what about all the others who
could supply a phone, ok, it will be on a BT line, but you would not have to deal with them,or go cable..

JonnyTub 15:23 06 Oct 04

the cd would have exploded beacuase of a dodgy disk and high spin speed combination, it's known to happen, did you notice any kind of hairline fracture on the disk before it went to bits?

woodt 15:23 06 Oct 04

Have a look here click here there may be a Wireless ISP in your area.

Magik ®© 15:25 06 Oct 04

How are you connected at the moment? that might be the best way, as you are doing it now....

Noelg23 15:27 06 Oct 04

well there's something for the books...a CD exploding in the drive and now cos of that our friend here is no longer wanting a phone line...mate unless your Sir Richard Branson I dont think there will be a cheaper way to connect to the internet altho to echo what one of the guys has said here you can get Satellite broadband but if you go to click here their prices are great...but all I can is good luck mate...

Belatucadrus 15:39 06 Oct 04

click here for old posting on same theme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…