Internet weirdness

jboyd 16:37 05 Sep 05

I recently removed Zonealarm 5 to put the upodated version on my PC. Since then I have had problems with Internet Exploder (??) in that I can access the Internet but my browser stops working and tries to connect to IP addresses, I then get a DNS error page. I havetried setting IE to its defaults and deleted all temp files and cookies with no success. I know I am still connected because I can get email and send it, if I run the ping command to the IP it responds OK (The IP address is that of the ISP server). I have run Hijack this and my AV scan but nothing has been picked up. Funnily a colleague has the same problem with a different ISP. So I was wondering if there was some kind of worm or virus knocking around that might cause this or if anyone has had the same problem. I have also tried to re-install Zonealarm but my PC reboots itself and will not complete it, I sometinmes get a message about a problem and do I want to send a report to Microsoft. It really is bugging me.

rawprawn 16:41 05 Sep 05
  rawprawn 16:43 05 Sep 05

Meant to add try system restore.

VoG II 17:09 05 Sep 05
  jboyd 17:41 05 Nov 05

Finally bit the bullet and re-installed OS on new HDD, I needed a larger one anyway. Didn't manage to work out if it was Zonealarm but haven't used it since, going over to Kaspersky as I use them for AV software.

ashdav 19:57 05 Nov 05

there is an issue with installing ver6 after (apparently) uninstalling ver5. There are reg entries left after the uninstall which interfere with ver6. A clean install will work fine. I did find a posting on a forum recently (can't remember where) which described a very lengthy and complicated manual removal of registry entries. It looked scary. If ver5 works leave it alone. If you're doing a build or reinstall then ver6 should be ok. Mine is.

ashdav 20:03 05 Nov 05

found it click here

jboyd 23:35 07 Nov 05

Yes, I remember reading something about it, pity because I have used ZAlarm for years. Anyway I will probably still go for Kaspersky as their AV software is excellent - no viruses in 5 years can't be bad.

Thanks to all who posted.

Boydfish

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…