Internet through laptop

roders 20:16 25 Feb 04

Hi, im trying to help my mate out who is trying to connect to the internet from his laptop using his mobile phone. He went to the Orange shop today who sold him a lead for £50.00 yet still no joy, he rang them and they advised him to download the latest drivers (the greatest fob off that people use) and is currently doing that.

Just wondered what kind of set up is usually required for this and where we are going wrong.

Thanks for your time

bythor 20:33 25 Feb 04

I connect via my laptop, using the infra-red on the phone. I had to add a prefix to the number - 1470 - if I remember correctly. Check with his ISP if they support GSM connection. It's painfully slow though - 9.6Kbps as opposed to the (alleged) 56Kbps on your desktop modem.

Diodorus Siculus 20:37 25 Feb 04

He will need to install the software for the phone to tell the laptop that he has a new modem. Then create a DUN connection and under its properties, tell it to use this new modem. Sorry I can't be more specific; I did this years ago for someone and that's the best I can remember (that one was an infra-red connection between mobile and laptop).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…