internet thro electric supply

terendak_uk 18:50 30 Jun 04

Read with interest Southern Electricitys' new internet access system. Has anyone signed up? Be interested in their experiences and also the similar service mentioned, I believe , in PCA a while back,from Packard Bell?

CurlyWhirly 19:05 30 Jun 04

I too have heard a lot about this Powerline Broadband but just when it will be available nationwide is anyone's guess!
I would certainly upgrade as on ADSL I am limited to 512kbps service as I live too far away from my local exchange and so I cannot upgrade to the faster 1mbps service.
The sooner the better as far as I am concerned!

terendak_uk 21:22 05 Jul 04

Read the post re unchecked posts......haven't checked this one, for example, as I would be very interested in more responses. Any further comments would be gratefully received.
NB Sometimes I close a post because of no feedback; some I want to keep open ...just in case of further info; some I close because I can't get the appropriate response...my fault , I'm sure. Perhaps I should keep "bumping"? As a novice, I always feel reticent to do this.

terendak_uk 21:56 05 Jul 04

but who's the provider?

tlr 22:48 05 Jul 04

Has been on trial in parts of Scotland for a while now and initial responses are promising

Robotic_Rob 23:17 05 Jul 04

Wow....Id thought you would only be able to do that with a DC voltage line and not a sine waveform(AC Power). That is cool and way more advance than the crap we produce at work.(Protec Fire Panels) The panels at work can power smoke detectors and all that stuff off a 24V DC line. Using it also as a communication link between the dectector and the panel as well.

Now that would be sweet as i cant get broadband at all in my area.

georgemac 07:40 06 Jul 04

I had read about this a few years ago with experiments taking place in Canada, and it was almost derided here saying it would never happen. Do not know if it is happening elsewhere in the world and is commercially viable.

Must hopefully be good news for those who live outwith braodband enabled exchanges in remote areas, although there may be problems click here although this article is almost a year old.

click here also being trialled in Ireland, and apparently Stonehaven in Scotland which is about 50 miles from me and this is the first I have heard of this.

click here and it looks like it is going to take off in the US, 2005 being the date mooted for the big rollout.

Could this mean big trouble and competition for the telecos? You could survive with your mobile only, no need to rent a phone line, bound to be an attractive option for some. In the last article it also says the power companies will be considering selling voice calls over the broadband connection.

Interesting times ahead.

terendak_uk 08:17 06 Jul 04

Seems like the price for a 500Kb ADSL equivilent( BT anyway- I pay £28 for 500+ connection) is same.
I suppose that if one wanted to wireless connect two PCs, one connected via power socket, the equipment would be the same ie router/accesspoint/modem and network adaptor for second PC?
Thanks

€dstowe 08:40 06 Jul 04

I took part in a trial of an earlier version of this system. It was more trouble than it was worth with loads of dropouts, failed connections, interference from power spikes and so on. There will have to be loads of improvement in the system before it is viable.

BUT - a thought for you. If this system is as wonderful as made out, why isn't the telephone system carried through the mains? Surely that is an easier problem to overcome with old technology (analogue phone services) than modern technology (ADSL or whatever).

georgemac 08:48 06 Jul 04

I'm not an electronics engineer or expert, but I do not think an analogue voice signal can be carried on an ac cable, while it is possible to piggy back a digital signal (adsl) on to it.

If this is being taken seriously by US power companies and they think it is a viable alternative, then I'm sure the problems will be sorted out. I love the US attitude that nothing is impossible and there are soloutions for everything.

The fast upload speeds will obviously be an attarction for some.

georgemac 08:50 06 Jul 04

again not an expert by any means, but to provide voice over adsl I imagine the anlogue voice signal is converted to a digital signal on the pc, then converted back to analogue at the other end.

Sure someone more enlightened will clarify

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…