Internet start up page

GeeKay+Dee 09:52 05 Aug 06

Hi

I'm currently experiencing problems when I open up my Internet explorer window. My home page has disappeared and I'm being told from the toolbar in the bottom right hand corner that my computer is infected.

I'm getting directed to a page called safetyhomepage.com, and when I try to open up a site, it keeps prompting me to download "officially approved security software". When I click cancel, it won't let me access any other sites. The toolbar prompt recommends that I download "antimalware software".

I've ran a virus scan and nothing was reported (ntl netgaurd). I've also checked my add/remove programs list and removed any programs that I didn't recognise. One of these was "spyquake", which when it first appeared seemed to preceed all the above problems.

I've managed to access this site by going in through my history facility. I've also checked my homepage setting and it still shows what I set it as.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'm running windows xp with ntl broadband.

VoG II 09:54 05 Aug 06
  GeeKay+Dee 15:37 05 Aug 06

VoG

I've ran the Ewido program and set up as mentioned. Found 2 infected files and quarantined them. Restarted the computer and I've no longer got the warning in my toolbar, but problem persists with Internet Explorer. Any more advice?

Thanks

GeeKay+Dee 15:44 05 Aug 06

Update!

I've started getting a system alert:adware and spyware warning telling me my PC perfomance has slowed down, my internet speed has decreased. It is asking me to use spyware to find out the reason. Is this a legit windows program or how should I deal with it? When I click on it, it takes me to page titled "Virus Blast".

Thanks

VoG II 18:23 05 Aug 06

Run HJT click here and post your log on the Malware Removal Forum click here

The experts there will get you sorted but you will need to be patient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5