Internet speed and IP conflict

stugra 19:56 18 Nov 09

I have my PC wired to a router. My son's PC was wi-fi, but to ensure a better connection, I have now connected his to the router by ethernet cable as well.

Two questions -

1) When we both connected an IP CONFLICT warning came up on both the PC's - what should I do about this please?

2) My PC (using 10m cable) turned in 2.4Mb speeds on the speedtest site, yet immediately afterwards my son's PC (15m cable) turned in a speed of 3.4Mb. Is there anything I should tweak to bring the speed up on mine? I am Windows 7, he is XP.

Many thanks.

ashleycardwell94 21:38 18 Nov 09

question1:
When we both connected an IP CONFLICT warning came up on both the PC's - what should I do about this please?

Do you have DHCP server enabled on the router - did you have to configure the ip addresses yourself?

question2:
My PC (using 10m cable) turned in 2.4Mb speeds on the speedtest site, yet immediately afterwards my son's PC (15m cable) turned in a speed of 3.4Mb. Is there anything I should tweak to bring the speed up on mine? I am Windows 7, he is XP.

Internet speeds can change, if you are using a webspeed test, it doesnt always stay the same.

you also said "My son's PC was wi-fi, but to ensure a better connection, I have now connected his to the router by ethernet cable as well."
make sure you have turned the wifi off, or disbabled it on the router i possible, and/or add wep/wpa security so nobody can hijack your WIFI!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced