internet speed - adapter or connected via cable?

pookie 15:22 18 Aug 06

hi

windows xp home (sp2), 1.5gb ddr, 3ghz (2.17) barton, x800pro, a7n8x-x asus mobo, creative audigy se soundcard, creative 4.1 speakers/sub and 550 watt psu. Broadband is ticali 2Mb.

I have a wireless modem/router(D-Link 54). i use my work laptop as wireless (only occassionally used at home) but my desktop (which is home pc mainly for gaming) is connected to the D-Link modem/router via a cable.

If i used the wireless usb adapter that came with the modem/router in my desktop would the speed be any less to it is currently when connected via a cable? If I did go wireless with my desktop then the modem/router would be in the next room (say 15 feet away), thin wall inbetween. Also, I'm upping my broadband to 8Mb when tiscali offer it - will my 54 modem/router be a bottleneck to 8Mb? Or does it not matter as only one pc will be using the connection?

Many thanks

P

ade.h 15:43 18 Aug 06

"If i used the wireless USB adapter that came with the modem/router in my desktop, would the speed be any less.....?"

For LAN traffic; yes. For WAN traffic; no.

"....will modem/router be a bottleneck to 8Mb?"

No.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced