Internet Speed

It's Me 16:10 10 Apr 05

Could someone tell me how to see what speed my connection is please. I use Opera, Tiscali BB and XP SP2.

The only icon that shows any activity at any time, (not even now though since I am not moving pages) is the Zone Alarm one; before it all got modernised, there used to be an icon showing a double monitor which could be clicked to show speeds, but that is no longer there.

I'm sure that this question has been answered before, but it eludes me.

VoG II 16:14 10 Apr 05

Control Panel, Network Connections. Right click the connection, Properties. Tick Show icon in notification area when connected.

QuickHare 16:16 10 Apr 05

I think it has been answered, but I shall answer it for you now.

Click Start Menu, Settings and Network Connections, then look for the connection you use. If it's broadband, it may be listed as a LAN connection.

Find the correct connection, right click it and select Properties. In the box that appears, you will find a tick box for showing an icon in the notification area when connected. Tick it, and click OK. You may need to log off and on again, or connect again.

Starfox 16:25 10 Apr 05

You could try a broadband speedometer for an accurate reading click here

It's Me 16:45 10 Apr 05

Many Thanks. It was the 'Local area connection that I needed to find the correct box to tick. (I use a rooter)

I'm getting 100Mbps according to the above, and 128.64 according to the Speedometer. Half the speed I should be getting. In 24 hours that should be 512 Mbps on the free upgrade; I wonder if it will show any change!

hansa 16:50 10 Apr 05

Is it just me? I can only get click here
to work in IE, not in FF.

Starfox 17:14 10 Apr 05

When I click on my link it works fine.

When I click on yours it won't.

One for the tech heads I think.

woodchip 17:27 10 Apr 05

Download NETMEDIC 1.2 from hear it will start download automatic click here=

It's Me 17:00 11 Apr 05

Starfox and hansa:- the link worked just fine on Opera for me!

Mr Mistoffelees 17:13 11 Apr 05

The McAfee speedometer is not very good. for a more reliable test try the ADSL Guide test click here

Starfox 17:39 11 Apr 05

"The McAfee speedometer is not very good"

Why? It's reputed to be the most accurate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…