internet speed

Hughbeaver 21:18 28 Sep 03

I have recently got ntl broadband and have since aquired a problem with speed. I can usually access a page quickly but when I try to scroll down a page the page staggers down very slowly and continues to stagger after I have released the mouse, I have spent many hours on the phone to ntl, I have uninstalled my internet explorer 6 exchanging for 5.5. I have run spybot and free surfer and I have looked for solutions on Microsoft with no success. I am getting very frustrated and would appreciate any help.

Cheers
Hugh

DieSse 21:28 28 Sep 03

It's a graphics driver or general computer speed problem - not the internet. The page is already in your system when you are scrolling.

What processor/RAM/motherboard do you have.

Hughbeaver 21:34 28 Sep 03

Thanks for response.
I have a Pentium 2, 128MB ram Intel MMX[TM]

woodchip 21:54 28 Sep 03

That's the problem, low Mz CPU, slow graphics.

powerless 22:11 28 Sep 03

Depends on the speed of that PII. What is the speed of it?

Hughbeaver 22:19 28 Sep 03

How do I find out the speed of the processer

Thanks

VoG II 22:22 28 Sep 03

Belarc will tell you click here

abc77 22:29 28 Sep 03

I had a similar problem before, especially when I tried to view the skysport site. I did not have the firewall at the time, I believed that something was installed secretly in my PC. I did uninstall and reinstall IE6 and also used spybot to check but it did not work. At the end, I did a clean installation of Windows 98 and the problem solved.

Hughbeaver 22:30 28 Sep 03

processor is
450MH
32 KB primary memory and 512 secondary memory.
In the section for win 98 it has 2 items with red crosses next to them and suggests reinstalling them, should I do this.
Thanks

powerless 22:37 28 Sep 03

Processor speed is fine.

Memeory could be a little better, maybe 256MB. It will probably be SDRAM type which is the cheaper memory.

Two red X's i think there are Windows updates? Just run windows update again.

How many programs do you have running? Press Cntrl - Alt - Del and count what yopu see. Also if you could name them.

The Sack 22:39 28 Sep 03

128MB of RAM is loads with W98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…