Internet slower than it should be.

Dragon_Nexus 23:42 29 Jul 09

I'm on Virgin Media in the UK. Our service recently went from 10Mb/s to 20Mb/s. After calling them several time, I can get the main computer (wired to the Linksys WRT54GS router) to get the 20 meg. We used TCP Optimizer to do it, worked first time.

I thought running the program on my computer (linked wirelessly with a Linksys G card with speedbooster (that never works)) would do the same trick...but it hasn't.
My mum's laptop runs Vista, auto configured itself and has about 15-18meg now.

My XP computer still sits around 4-7 meg. I honestly can't understand why, especially since when we were on 10 meg, I got damn near a full 10 meg.
Anyone care to offer any suggestions? Anything like...needing to allow an IP through a firewall, or something I can do with my router?

If you need more information, just ask. I'm fairly sure I can supply it.

ambra4 04:18 30 Jul 09

See if this will help

Download Cyber Tweak in the drop down menu selects ASDL and click Optimize

click here

ztronicsalien 06:07 30 Jul 09

Slow internet speed problems are with all of us and I have used a number of internet speed optimizing tools but it was all in vain. Only option is to go for high speed connection, pay heavily for it and may be you will be sorted.

Regards,
Service.Ztronics

ztronicsalien 06:09 30 Jul 09

Slow internet speed problems are with all of us and I have used a number of internet speed optimizing tools but it was all in vain. Only option is to go for high speed connection, pay heavily for it and may be you will be sorted.

Regards,
Service.Ztronics

Dragon_Nexus 13:30 30 Jul 09

The Cybertweak seems to have given me betwee 8 and 10 meg now. It's always improving slightly, but never hitting the full 20.

And no, paying more for a faster subscription is NOT an option.

ztronicsalien 09:00 04 Aug 09

I really don't rely too much on cyber tweaks because the results have been not very satisfactory so far.

Regards,
servicedotztronics

bapiow 08:04 20 Aug 09

Cricket today, how many of us will suffer slow speeds because people are streaming and BT can't cope!!.
Had this with Wimbledon/Golf/Cricket , my speeds dropped from 5Mb down to 1Mb
Or is just my ISP that is at fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MogsyDude23 18:05 22 Aug 09

Try adjusting the computers MTU settings. Do you get a full signal on the wireless? If you plug an ethernet into the laptop do you get the full 20mb? If not it will be down to TCP/IP. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the wireless adapter. If your using old ones they may not support that much bandwidth to transfer through that quickly.

Hope this helps.

Dragon_Nexus 14:56 23 Aug 09

With regards to MTU...what is it specifically, how do I get to it and what do I change it to?

I couldn't manage to get the laptop to connect via ethernet, but the main computer gets the 20, and the laptop gets about 14-17 whereas my computer gets around about 7-10. The two computers sit on the same floor, usually, just in rooms next to each other.

And yes, I have the latest driver. Which isn't really saying much, Linksys last updated this driver in 2005.

MogsyDude23 16:33 23 Aug 09

The easiest way to adjust your TCP/IP settings is buy downloading Dr. TCP, this is the link for it...

click here

Yeh Linksys doesn't seem to update their drivers that often.

Try dropping the MTU in Dr. TCP to about 1400 and then apply it. You will need to reboot your computer as well to it to take effect.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Dragon_Nexus 17:05 23 Aug 09

For some reason in that app, my wireless card showed up twice. I chanced both to 1400 and I seem to have a slight speed increase. I ran three tests and they average about 8-8.5Mb/s

I forgot to say about signal strength. It usually hovers around the half way mark. I suppose that could account for half the speed going......maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…