Internet slowdown yesterday (18th October 04)

CurlyWhirly 06:54 19 Oct 04

I don't know if it was just at my end but yesterday evening I noticed that my broadband connection had slowed right down and this was right across the board not just at this Forum website.
Did anybody else notice a slowdown as well just out of curiosity?
I have just logged on now this morning and everything is thankfully back to normal.

I would just like to say that I have NEVER seen this Forum go as quick as it has over the last few weeks and my thanks go to ALL concerned working in the background.
Well done people the new upgraded server is doing a grand job!

Valvegrid 07:09 19 Oct 04

Everything was fine here yesterday evening, it looks like it was probably a local problem to you.

CurlyWhirly 07:13 19 Oct 04

Morning to you as well.
It must have been a 'local' issue then!
To be honest it was so slow it was like being on dial-up with continual '504 Connection timed-out' errors so after a few minutes I gave up and logged off!
Back here this morning everything is okay again thank goodness.

picklsey 08:25 19 Oct 04

morning all,i had same problem i thought dial up would have been faster but all,s well this morning.ps isp aol.

PsiFox 09:47 19 Oct 04

There were apparently some major dns and routing issues yesterday, causing problems particularly with the transatlantic side of things.

PsiFox

Graham ® 09:58 19 Oct 04

Extract from PlusNet:

Routing Issue
Some customers today may have experienced problems accessing some websites, mainly in the USA.

There have been significant problems today with 'flap damping' which appear to be resulting from a routing table problem within the American Department of Defence Network.

We also noticed a misconfiguration within two of our own core routers because of this which we have resolved.

Customers should now be able to view websites that were affected by this issue. If any customers are still experiencing problems we would ask them to contact us via the normal channels so we can investigate further.

So it was 'flap damping' :-)

spuds 10:38 19 Oct 04

Flap Damping click here

CurlyWhirly 20:39 19 Oct 04

There were apparently some major dns and routing issues yesterday, causing problems particularly with the transatlantic side of things.

That explains why my connection was so slow then as I am with AOL and as their servers are based in the US!

CurlyWhirly 20:42 19 Oct 04

Thanks for your Flap Damping link but to be honest it is a bit technical for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…