Internet Signal Strength

Daniel-1442071 17:35 05 May 10

Hey ! I am currentley using a click here For my wireless connection, and it says i should have an excellent connection throughout my house, but as i am connected i only have 1/2 bars of signal at most (out of 5) Is there anything i can do to increase the signal strength without moving the PC ? Thanks !

mgmcc 17:51 05 May 10

You could try changing the Channel number used by the Router to broadcast the WiFi signal. The default channel number for most routers is normally "6" or "11" so try one of those or, if already on one, try the other.

Make sure there are no large metal objects, such as radiators, in the line of sight between adapter (PC) and router. Also keep cordless/mobile phones away from adapter/router.

>>> it says i should have an excellent connection throughout my house

Yes, but are you also using a compatible 802.11n router to be able to benefit from the improved performance offered by the adapter?

Daniel-1442071 17:53 05 May 10

Hey, thanks for the reply ! Just so you know, i'm actually pretty useless when it comes to computers :D So if you could tell me how to find out the channel number and such i'll let you know straight away :D

Thanks !

mgmcc 18:04 05 May 10

Open your web browser and type the router's IP address into the address bar. This will open its configuration pages and within the wireless settings you'll find the Channel number. You may be prompted for the router's Username/Password and this should be either in the manual, or possibly on a label on the underside of the router.

If you don't know the router's IP address, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC. Look for the "Default Gateway" address and that is the Router's IP address. The most commonly used addresses are 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, Belkin use 192.168.2.1

Daniel-1442071 18:35 05 May 10

You're a legend in your own right !
Thankyou so much :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…