internet shortcuts not working?

restlessquiff 12:11 04 Dec 06

Hello,
Can anyone please help me with this problem?
I use Mozilla FireFox (my default browser). I recently downloaded IE7 as well.

Both browsers work fine. However, on my desktop I have several shortcuts to various websites that I use. When I click on them nothing happens! Yet I can still use FireFox OK, no problems there.

Does anyone know wy these shortcuts have been disabled and what can I do to restore them to normal? By the way, I can't create new desktop shortcuts, either - the system won't allow me to do it.

Please help. Many thanks in advance.
Mo.

Belatucadrus 12:25 04 Dec 06

Sounds like your HTML file association is shot, try right clicking one of the shortcuts, select Open With/Choose Program Then select a browser from the list, tick the Always use selected program box and OK it.

rawprawn 12:26 04 Dec 06

You should be able to simply drag shortcuts from the "Favourites" menu, from both IE7 anf Firefox (don't forget to replace them in the favourites menu) When you say "The system won't allow" what is the message? I would delete all the old ones and start again.

provider 2 12:30 04 Dec 06

Wish I could help, restlessquiff. I have the same problem with disabled shortcuts in WinOptimiser 07, but Ashampoo says it`s something to do with the way AOL handles links. They failed to offer any advice about how to fix it,however.

restlessquiff 12:43 04 Dec 06

Thank you for your responses.

I've tried to right click (as suggested by Belatucadrus) but there is NO option to select "open" - instead, I get "print" and "send to", etc.

I've tried dragging from my favs list on to the desktop (as suggested by rawprawn) but once on the desktop the same old problem occurs - can't open it.

When I try to create a new link by cutting and pasting the web address, I get the message "click here cannot be found".

Hope you folks can still help!
Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant