Internet Sharing ????

Allin 13:40 26 May 03

I have just set up a 2 computer network using a netgear hub and 2 netgear nic`s.The network appears to be ok,I have printed a document from the client via the server.I am using Win 98.How ever,I cannot get my interent shared .Can any one suggest software for dummies that I could try.
Alan

Legolas 13:45 26 May 03

Does the hub have a WAN port on it?

Allin 13:55 26 May 03

I don`t think so.It has 4 ports for the clients and another two ports labelled 5-uplink and 5-normal.

keith-236785 15:26 26 May 03

Do you use a firewall, if so look at the help files for ics, on zone alarm it is a setting "This computer is an ICS/NAT Gateway" choosing this setting should make your connection work. i presume you have set up Internet connection sharing (ICS) on the server pc.

good luck, post back if it doesnt work

binkitone 17:47 26 May 03

You say you are using Win 98, I presume you mean Windows 98SE as Win98 does not ICS.

Legolas 18:40 26 May 03

It is my understanding that to share an Internet connection the hub, switch or router must have a WAN port to allow access to the Internet. You can network two computers without using a hub by connecting a length of crossover casble between the two computers connected to the NIC cards in this way it is possible to share files, printer and Internet. If you use a intermediate device such as a hub, switch or router you must use straight through cable.

highwray 22:18 26 May 03

If, by any chance, you are using AOL - it doesnt allow sharing.
Regards

Despicable Desperado 22:41 26 May 03

What do you use to connect to the net - dialup or broadband?

Allin 09:56 27 May 03

I am using win 98 not se.My internet connection is broadband.I have managed to get the network up and running but still no internet ???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…