Internet sharing

abc77 13:33 15 Aug 03

Please advise how to configure my PCs to make the internet sharing work. I am using AOL broadband and an USB ADSL Modem. Both of my PCs are connected by a cross-over cable and running under Windows 98. Would it be easier to buy an ADSL router?

MjM Hellfire 14:18 15 Aug 03

If you have the money just buy a router, it will save so much hassle in the long run.

It can be done using 3 ethernet cables and a crossover cable, but I had hassle with that a few years ago. Since I bought my 4 Port LinkSyS cable router it has run like a dream. It can also be configured to work hand-in-hand with Zone Alarm Pro and is so damn easy to setup that a monkey with one arm could almost give it a go.

A router/Switch is definately my recommendation for trouble free sharing.

Good luck.

fLeAbOy 15:08 15 Aug 03

i would totally agree.

I share my broadband connection through a netgear router and it all works just great.

From what i recall the internet connection sharing wizard isn't so great in W98 so if you don't fancy buying a router and configuring it, i would advise an upgrade to XP (with the lovely blaster worm patch naturally!!!)

abc77 13:34 18 Aug 03

Thanks for your advice, hellfire and fleaboy. I am using an USB ADSL modem. How do I connect the cable router with my modem? If I cannot connect these two pieces of hardware, do I need to get a cable router with modem and replace the USB ADSL modem provided by AOL?

Paranoid Android 13:45 18 Aug 03

The usual method is - PCs into router ports - uplink port from router into ADSL modem.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 13:48 18 Aug 03

PS you need normal CAT5 network cables, not crossover cables (although many modern routers will autodetect and it might work regardless).

Marvin

Griff74 13:56 18 Aug 03

Is it possible to create a cable peer-to-peer internet sharing connection between a PC and a Mac ?

abc77 13:49 19 Aug 03

Marvin,

The connectors with the cable provided by AOL only have two pins which is used to connect the filter and the modem, it does not like the normal CAT5 cable.

Alex

Paranoid Android 20:39 19 Aug 03

Sorry my mistake - I overlooked the AOL bit in your question. AOL is a particularly special case - there are many limitations to sharing your AOL broadband internet connection. Probably your best bet will be to set up one machine as the host and use a software proxy server to share the connection. There are a number of freeware / shareware offerings available. One of my favourites is Proxy+ from Fortech click here

I seem to remember that you will only be able to connect with one machine at a time due to AOL DSL restrictions - however this may have changed, this is a little outside my field and it's been a while !

Marvin

abc77 10:13 23 Aug 03

Marvin,

Thanks for your advice. Do I install the proxy server just on the host PC? Any configuration is needed on the other PC?

Alex

Paranoid Android 20:28 25 Aug 03

Install on host PC only. All you do is tell the client PCs the (static) IP address of the host (gateway address) and they should find it OK. You may need to fiddle a bit but full instructions are included.

Make sure the network is functioning correctly before installing Proxy+.

I have had it working in Win 98 but I'm afraid it was along time ago. I now use Windows XP which runs it as a service.

You may find other proxy servers easier to use, I can only tell you my own preference.

Marvin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…