internet security says attacked by home computer??

lelole 10:26 03 Jan 04

Hi

I ahve Norton Internet security and very often get alerts for intrusion attempts which I just ignore cause am protected if they alert me I think. Today though, it said that it had blocked an attack from HTTP_activeperl_overflow attack, and when I let it trace the IP address it said it couldn't because it was a computer on my home network, but my computer is not connected to any others...except by broadband to the internet.

Is there a simple explanation or should I be worried??

Thanks for your help

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:38 03 Jan 04

Turn off the Norton alerts as they are all a waste of space/time. Norton and all the other firewalls report normal internet activity as 'attacks'. They are nothing like an attack and some very cynical people would say Norton do this to 'show' the 'effectiveness' of their product;-))).

It is interesting to note that the free version of ZA suddenly stops reporting these attacks when the paid for version is installed. You will never get hacked on a home computer. I never use a firewall so am absolved from the angst of the alerts ;-))

G

Terrahawk 12:02 03 Jan 04

i wouldnt go as far as to say you will never get hacked on a home computer.I would say you have more chance of winning the lottery jackpot than getting hacked there is a very small risk.

lelole the fact your firewall is reporting these means its doing its job do as GANDALF <|:-)> says turn off the alerts and enjoy your surfing

SEASHANTY 12:58 03 Jan 04

^

steven_frost 14:40 03 Jan 04

I had this problem to be honest most of it is port scans and thats it nothing more

lelole 18:21 03 Jan 04

think i will stop worrying about all of this then and just get on with it! thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…