Internet security options

TimCDC 10:14 24 Jan 04

While doing an innocent google search the other day for the cartoon character topcat, I came across some stuff I would rather not have come across (!) So I'd like to change the content settings under internet explorer, but I have set a password which I can't remember. I am the computer administrator on our family pc (honest!), with all the other users having limited accounts. Is there anyway I can remind myself what the password is - please believe me I am not trying to "crack" the system, just to avoid my children coming across what I found!

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:30 24 Jan 04

To remove the password: click start, run, type in REGEDIT, click ok, this opens registry editor. Click + in front of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, + in front of SOFTWARE, + in front of Microsoft, + in front of Windows, + in front of Current Version, + in front of Policies, Click Ratings, look to right, Click line below Default, press delete, enter. Leave default line only in right pane. Close registry editor. Next click start, find, files and folders, type "ratings.pol" in top line, C: in bottom, find now. When this file is found, delete it. This will remove password set, and leave content advisor fully operable. Next time, chose a password you can remember.

To be truthful the contents advisor will not really stop your kids seeing all sorts of things. Education and awareness is much better.

G

rawprawn 10:30 24 Jan 04

there should be a hint there to remind you

TimCDC 11:18 24 Jan 04

I shall venture into the registry to sort this. Appreciate the point about it not fully protecting the boys - but hopefully it will stop the occasional accident, such as I had!

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:20 24 Jan 04

Forgot to mention....if you are mucking about in the registry a backup may help, although what you are doing or intend to do is not too drastic.

G

TimCDC 11:21 24 Jan 04

Thanks for the prompt re backup!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…