Internet security installation problems

SteevScotland 22:38 16 Oct 04

I'm trying to install Norton Internet security 2004 on my laptop running windows XP. I keep getting the following error messages

"This MSI must be launched through setup"

followed by

"The installation encountered an error and was unable to complete the installation"

What could be causing this and how could i fix it?

Cheers s

GaT7 22:43 16 Oct 04

This may help - click here. Good luck, G

Giggle n' Bits 22:44 16 Oct 04

click here=

Please call back should you require further help

GaT7 22:49 16 Oct 04

If you have any more problems you can try searching the Symantec knowledge base - click here. That's where I got my previous link from ; ) . You can also use Symantec's free online help at click here. If still no joy let us know. G

Daxsimus 23:03 16 Oct 04

Have you had any Norton software installed in the past? If so it can cause problems with the installation. All traces of Norton need to be removed before installing new versions. Including reg entries.

Regards
Dax

SteevScotland 23:16 16 Oct 04

Thanks everyone. I'm looking at the links now. I did have Norton 2003 installed a while ago. I installed it but it seems its still there. its in the add/remove programs menu. but it wont let me uninstall it again. it says a file is missing and i need to reinstall. I no longer have 2003. is there any way to uninstall it by hand?

Cheers S

GaT7 00:26 17 Oct 04

Yes, you can uninstall it manually by following the advice here - click here=. The removal utilities mentioned in the article usually remove all traces. They also tell you what folders & registry entries to delete if anything should remain. Don't forget to BACKUP your registry before attempting to delete anything there. Hope it goes well. I've had my fair share of trying to remove NIS2003 : ( G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…