Internet security help - email failure message

techhelp 12:13 18 Feb 05

I have windows XP, Sygate firewall, AVG 6 antivirus, AOl 9 with supposed firewall and antivirus protection. Recently I have had the odd [email protected] failure' messages to my e-mail inbox which I find very suspicious because I had not send any e-mail at the time and certainly not to the email address on the returned message. My question is this: Is this normal i.e. some Windows or AOL maintenance software sending out an email or should I be concerned? Many thanks.

mgmcc 12:20 18 Feb 05

The most likely explanation is that someone with your email addrees in their address book has been infected with a virus. Emails are now being sent with your address in the "From:" field, so that any which bounce will come back to you even though you never sent them originally.

There are also viruses that just send emails purporting to be "undeliverable" messages.

If you don't already have it, "Mailwasher" is a very good program for checking what mail is waiting on the ISP's server so that you can delete any junk/spam/viruses without first having to download them. click here for the "free" version.

ACOLYTE 12:21 18 Feb 05

As far as i know nothing should send emails without your knowledge or permission so i would be a little concerned if emails are bieng sent and you didnt send them.

Buchan 35 21:25 18 Feb 05

update your AVG immediately, everyone else is on AVG 7.0 300 version 266.0.0, and then run it

Buchan 35 21:27 18 Feb 05

forgot to ask if you`ve installed SP2? It has its own firewall and I`ve no complaints with it

Jak_1 21:35 18 Feb 05

Almost certainly a virus however it may not be on your pc. It can be on another pc with your email addy in their address book, the virus uses your addy as if you had sent the mail.

As stated AVG6 is well out of date and AVG 7 has had many virus updates. Download the latest AVG 7 from click here and then run a full scan.

Set AVG to automatic updates.

techhelp 20:23 25 Feb 05

mgmcc - you have been helpful, although I am getting authentification errors when I press the'check mail' button. It asks for my aol userid and password then fails. I will have a few attemps to get it going however. Many thanks.
Thanks ACOLYTE but there may have been something there.
Buchan 35 - now on AVG 7 thanks. I did load SP2 on but there are oftem with these download a load of options to take. WIth all this 'firepower' over the last 8 months I did not expect any viruses to get through.
Jac-1 thanks for your insight. I am not surprised, I suspect not everyone I send emails to are as protected. Thanks again all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…