Internet security advice

Peter E 22:32 10 Dec 05

Recently, after making a purchase on the secure site of a reputable UK company, my credit card and personal details were hacked, and an attempt was made to use them to make a fraudulent purchase at a Canadian site. My credit card company thought something was amiss and blocked my card. They've since issued me with a new one. My first thought was that I'd been key logged, but my security is good and up to date. I ran a few checks and all that came up was the usual harmless trackking cookies, and my Norton anti virus log said it had denied access when an attempt was made to download a trojan. Other than that - nothing. I use AdAware, Spybot, AOL anti spyware, Norton anti virus and my firewall is Zone Alarm. Anyway, an email to the UK company about their security has met with no response, and I suppose it's possible that a key logger is hiding somewhere on my PC - but I can't find anything amiss. I'm reluctant to buy on the Internet now but shortly I have to pay my web hosting company who accept only online payments. Can anyone advice me if there is anything further I can do to check my PC, or any precautions I should take when buying online. I always chesk for https and the security certificate and only buy from reputable companies. Any help appreciated.

Peter

VoG II 22:37 10 Dec 05

How do you know that your details were 'hacked' during an internet transaction and not simply 'nicked' - e.g. by a waiter in a restaurant?

Anyway, to check for keyloggers run a² click here

Peter E 22:48 10 Dec 05

Hi VoG. I've purchased online quite a lot without problems, but on this occasion I used a particular piece of personal information on the UK site which I've never used at all before. I made my purchase at about 00.30, at 01.30 the fraud was attempted using this same piece of personal information. Either I was key logged or the UK site had a security lapse. Thank you for the link.

Peter

BigRik 23:05 10 Dec 05

Hi Peter.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If you suspect a keylogger, or even if you don't, try using the on-screen keyboard when entering any sensitive info. This way, none of your details are going anywhere other than the intended recipient as no keys are being pressed!

To access the on-screen keyboard: start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessability > On-Screen Keyboard.

Hope it helps!

Number 7 23:10 10 Dec 05

The on-screen keyboard will defeat a basic keylogger, however, third-parties have access to https connections click here

ade.h 23:17 10 Dec 05

Apparently, it is possible for some spyware to take screenshots of any activity, so the on-screen keyboard is not a 100% cure. More the merrier though, if you suspect malware, so go ahead and use the technique. Can't make it worse!

BigRik 23:58 10 Dec 05

At least I now know I was taught correctly at school!

No method is 100% safe!

You learn something new every day. Thanks for that guys.

Mytob 00:13 11 Dec 05

k ways to protect urself online

1. get a hardware firewall to prevent the majority of hackers getting in
2. ditch all norton products as they are about as usless as a choclate fireguard.
3. get kaspersky av pro about £40 but hell this is the best on the market!
4. get sygate firewall pro about £30 and also one of the best you can get.
5. downlaod spybot adaware and spyware blaster (also M$ antisyware if so desired but i dont think much of it at the moment)
6. run regular scans of spybot adaware and update spyware blaster regualy.
7. change to firefox or opera and ie is like a swiss cheese in terms of security holes.
8. dont use outlook experss on you system as this is regualy attacked by worms.
9. use some ip blocker like peer guardian to block advert and spyware ip adresses (does rather a good job and free to!)
10. dont use sites that dont offer some sort of security policy such as verisign.
11. dont use file sharing networks as many zips and exes come with viri worms ect in them.
12. scan every thing you download from the net manualy and i mean ALL downloads!
13. dont use im progs such as msn and dont use chat rooms (hackers can easily gain acces via msn prots and get your ip via the whois command on chat rooms).

with these mesures you will be fairly secure but no garantees. some one broke into the pentagon and M$ so you pc will still be a potentail target. as for remote viewing yes is is possible. commen programs used are sub7 and backorifice. enjoy and stay safe!

Peter E 19:48 11 Dec 05

The sequel to this is that I downloaded a-squared as VOG suggested. It picked up eight harmless tracking cookies but also a trojan named paradrop.a. Apparently this trojan isn't a key logger but assists other malware to infect your machine. Nither Norton AV, Spybot, AOL anti spyware or AdAware picked these up.

Anyway, thank you all for your advice.

Peter

sinbad1 20:45 11 Dec 05

you may like to check your computer
click here

Mytob 22:33 11 Dec 05

Im not suprised norton didnt pick it up! From my experiance its useless and only gets updated once a week. Compare that to kaspersky with once an hour! As for adaware and all the other progs picking not picking up the trojan again not that suprised as they are very much geared towards spyware as the names would suggest. Kaspersky pro also has a malware detector in it wich does a resonal job at detecting items aswell as viri and trojan ect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…